KB2553154 Breaks COM and Active X controls in Excel

Anonymous
2014-12-10T14:28:48+00:00

Hi

The last windows update batch contained update KB2553154 for office 32 bit.

This update breaks all COM and Active x controls in Excel (i.e. buttons, combo boxes etc.). Like many businesses we use Excel with these controls extensively and this update is crippling Excel for our users.

We have installed and uninstalled it on a number of machines both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and have proved this update is causing the issue.

PLEASE Microsoft withdraw or fix this update we can hardly go around all our pc's worldwide and manually uninstalling it.

Regards

A customer wondering if you test your updates before releasing them

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2014-12-10T14:49:07+00:00

Quit Excel.

Start Windows Explorer.

Select the system drive (usually C:).

Use the Search box to search for *.exd

Delete all found files.

(Thanks to Excel MVP RoryA for this tip)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-18T19:07:46+00:00

I know that this is way beyond when you posted this but I was able to fix this problem by updating Microsoft Office to the latest service pack. Then installing excel2010-kb2956142-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2010 andexcel2013-kb2956145-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2013. Hope this might help out someone else out there trying to figure out this problem.  Also this page has some information on fixes as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3017349

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-11T07:17:57+00:00

    Thank you so much! I have been battling with a similar problem for a couple of weeks now.

    Running windows 10 and office 2013 (both 64 bit) on an Acer laptop. Any drop down filters in Excel autofilter or Pivot tables (as well as right click context menus in PowerPoint) would open for a short while then disappear before a selection could be made.

    I tried new mice (Both wired and wireless), changed usb ports, swapped from HDMI cable to standard VGA, ran sfc /scannow and NOTHING worked. I even moved the files from a network share to the local Hard drive with the same results.

    Tried opening the same files on another PC, and they worked fine.

    Then I came across this thread. As I had tried everything else, I thought what harm could it do? I was just about to do a clean reinstall of my laptop.

    I searched for .edx files and found four. Deleted them all and rebooted. Problem has gone away. I will continue to monitor and see if it comes back, but so far so good.

    I checked on the other PC that ran fine, and there were no .edx files present.

    Once again, thank you!☺

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T22:04:46+00:00

    I have found that, on all of our machines to date with this issue (for Office 2013), the following steps solved the problem:

    a.       Install 2920754 March 10, 2015, update for Office 2013

    b.      Install 2956145 March 10, 2015, update for Excel 2013

    c.       Run the Easy Fix solution at the bottom of this Microsoft KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3025036

    Once these steps were done, in order, all ActiveX controls appear to function properly.  I hope this helps someone in the future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-23T19:05:49+00:00

    Hi Simon,

    Thank you for your information... I resolved the issue in excel 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments