How to restore MS Office Outlook 2007 folders back in Outlook

Anonymous
2013-11-22T17:53:38+00:00

Sir or Madam,

I had a technical problem with my Lap Top computer and backed up all my MS Office Outlook 2007 files and folders. I resolved the problem.

I opened my Seagate Expansion drive, discovered the folders and right clicked each sending them to my documents folder.

I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

I need your assistance in restoring those folders back in Outlook.

I am also using a desk top PC as well.

MS Office Outlook 2007 is working well.

I am using MS Vista.

Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

I am sorry if I contacted the wrong community. If so please send this to the correct one.

Regards,

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T04:26:32+00:00

    Earleb,

    OK. 

    If you have trouble finding your pst file then you can also use Windows search to look for it. 

    Open Windows explorer

    Select Computer [in the left-hand pane]

    In the search box near the upper right corner, enter

    .pst

    and it will search the hard drive & any connected local drives for all pst files.

    Windows search cannot search network drives but from your previous descriptions, I do not think that limitation is relevant.

    I explained before that Outlook Help will show you where the pst file is by default and also where Outlook 2007's configuration files are.  I hope you do look this page up but I've now found my notes of the default location and it is at

    C:\Users*YourOwnUserName*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

    I also explained that you can put the pst wherever you want to make it easier to include in backup routines [mine, for example, is in a sub-folder of My documents].  I've set this up on a few PCs so, if it is of interest & once you have the reassurance of having found the file, let me know if you want more detailed guidance on doing this move.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T04:00:05+00:00

    Hi Try*3,

    I will give it my best effort hopefully over the weekend. Thank you again.

    Earleb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T03:17:25+00:00

    I have given you Windows 7 instructions.  I only mentioned Vista because that is the label you will find in that page of Outlook Help [both Vista & Windows 7 store Outlook files in the same place but Outlook 2007 does not mention Windows 7 on that page].

    I've also added this explanation to my earlier post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T01:16:40+00:00

    Try*3, Thank you for your speedy reply and I look forward to following your step by step instructions.

    My Laptop uses Windows 7 and the one that I need help with. (My PC desk top uses Vista)

    Please advise if the same instructions apply. Thanks again. Earleb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T22:37:45+00:00

    Please open Outlook then open Outlook Help. 

    Search for Where does Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 save my information and configurations

    Look down the page for the Personal folders file heading.  Unless you deliberately moved the pst file, it will have been in the folder identified for Vista* under that heading.

    [* both Vista & Windows 7 store Outlook 2007 files in the same location but Outlook 2007 Help does not mention Windows 7]

    Did you backup the pst file from your previous installation?  If you did not then the file should still be the same location unless your technical work has deleted it in the meantime. 

    If the pst file still exists somewhere then open Outlook then select File, Open, Outlook data file & browse to wherever that file now is.  It should open & all its contents should be available.  The pst file does not have to be in any particular place - you can put it wherever you want it.

    If you also want to restore such elements as Views or Navigation pane shortcuts then use the same page of the Outlook Help file to show you where to look for them.

    Also note there are no shortcuts for restoring email accounts in Outlook 2007.  You will need to start from scratch entering the data for each account in Tools, Account settings.  For many types of email account, you can put in the email address & password then let Outlook find out the technical settings for itself but this does not always work for every account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments