How to restore MS Office Outlook 2007 folders back in Outlook

Anonymous
2013-11-22T17:53:38+00:00

Sir or Madam,

I had a technical problem with my Lap Top computer and backed up all my MS Office Outlook 2007 files and folders. I resolved the problem.

I opened my Seagate Expansion drive, discovered the folders and right clicked each sending them to my documents folder.

I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

I need your assistance in restoring those folders back in Outlook.

I am also using a desk top PC as well.

MS Office Outlook 2007 is working well.

I am using MS Vista.

Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

I am sorry if I contacted the wrong community. If so please send this to the correct one.

Regards,

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T16:44:17+00:00

    Earle,

    About your problem with para 1.5

    Your own search results showed that both Outlook.pst & Archive.pst existed in the folder C:\Users\Earle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

    There should only be a folder in there called "New folder" if you have created it. 

    These files are all as expected:

    Outlook.xml.kfl

    ~last~.sharing.xml.obi

    extend.dat

    Outlook.sharing.xml.obi

    There is no logical reason to see a file called "Outlook personal folders" in that or any other location.  That sounds to me that you are looking within Outlook itself as that is normally the only place you would see that.  It is essential to do the moves I have suggested with Outlook closed as it will not allow you to do  them whilst it is open.

    About Palcouk's notes

    It is perfectly possible that many of these files are just copies of each other.  The procedure I gave you in my post 3  Review the 53 backed up pst files  should identify & eliminate these duplicates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-01T21:40:23+00:00

    Hello Palcouk,

    I am sure that Try*3 will consider your information. Thank you.

    Earleb

    From: Microsoft Community [mailto:MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com]

    Sent: January-01-14 9:37 AM

    To: ******@rogers.com

    Subject: Question has reply: How to restore MS Office Outlook 2007 folders back in Outlook

    <br>YOUR PROFILE <br>FAQ<br><br><br><br><br><br>
    * * *
    Hello earleb, <br><br> <br><br>Your question on Microsoft Community has received a reply from Palcouk.<br><br><br><br><br>Title:How to restore MS Office Outlook 2007 folders back in Outlook<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>Reply<br><br><br><br>I'm not going to butt back in here, as it will only add to confusion with Try*3's responses, but just make an observation based on your screen shot;<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>The outlook files on the desktop are all copies of the original data files. (at their default locations)<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>The outlook pst file contains all mail, Contacts, Tasks, calendar entries etc.<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>There is no real point in exporting Contacts to another file since they will be contained in any pst backup.<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>Its only necessary to copy the pst files, whilst outlook is closed, to another location in order to have a backup (MS has a free utility for this)<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>If using backup software you cannot incrementally backup a pst, any pst is marked as modified as soon as it is opened in outlook, so any backup is a full backup<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>There are only specific circumstance where you use export/import for a pst, primarily using these functions results in loss of data and various settings.<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>The pst files should always be located on the local drive, if you intend to open them within Outlook, locating them on an external or LAN can lead to corruption of the pst<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>For home use there is rarely any need to create multiple archives for specific folders, more sense to create the single archive, if necessary creating a new archive by year,<br> and editing the archive name to reflect the year.<br><br><br><br> <br><br> <br><br>Read this reply on Microsoft Community.<br> <br><br> <br><br>-------------------------------------------------- <br><br><br><br>NEXT STEPS*<br><br><br><br>Was this reply helpful? Give Palcouk some kudos! <br><br>\[Vote as helpful\]<br> <br><br> <br><br>Did Palcouk's reply answer your question? Then let the community know! <br><br>\[Mark this reply as your answer\]<br> <br><br> <br><br>Want to unsubscribe from this thread? <br><br>Click here to go to the thread, click on the original post and click<br>Stop emails. <br><br> <br><br>*Sign in required. When you open the thread, you'll see that your action has been automatically recorded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-01T13:51:38+00:00

    I'm not going to butt back in here, as it will only add to confusion with Try*3's responses, but just make an observation based on your screen shot;

    The outlook files on the desktop are all copies of the original data files. (at their default locations)

    The outlook pst file contains all mail, Contacts, Tasks, calendar entries etc.

    There is no real point in exporting Contacts to another file since they will be contained in any pst backup.

    Its only necessary to copy the pst files, whilst outlook is closed, to another location in order to have a backup (MS has a free utility for this)

    If using backup software you cannot incrementally backup a pst, any pst is marked as modified as soon as it is opened in outlook, so any backup is a full backup

    There are only specific circumstance where you use export/import for a pst, primarily using these functions results in loss of data and various settings.

    The pst files should always be located on the local drive, if you intend to open them within Outlook, locating them on an external or LAN can lead to corruption of the pst

    For home use there is rarely any need to create multiple archives for specific folders, more sense to create the single archive, if necessary creating a new archive by year, and editing the archive name to reflect the year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-31T21:03:38+00:00

    Hi Try*3,

    Hope you enjoyed a fine Christmas with your loved ones.

    I am in your Reply

    1 Relocate the Outlook.pst file

    1.5 I don't see the Outlook.pst, Archive.pst files.

          I see the following; New folder,

          Last.sharing.xml.obi, Extend.dat, Outlook personal folders, Outlook.sharing.xml.obi and    

          Outlook.xml.kfl.

    Please advise.

    Happy New Year.

    Earleb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T16:23:18+00:00

    Earle,

    I posted them in sequence.  They are in that sequence in this thread but it seems that the notification emails crossed over each other on the way to you.

    This is the intended sequence

    [unnumbered introduction starting with "Before starting, I need to point out one thing." - now amended with an initial heading 0  Introduction to make it clearer]

    1  Relocate the Outlook.pst file

    2  Move the backed up pst files

    3  Review the 53 backed up pst files

    4  Review each of the remaining backed up pst files

    5  Further queries

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments