Mac Office 2011 Latest Update won't install on OSX 10.8.5

Anonymous
2013-10-11T22:35:00+00:00

I just ran the update program for Word for 2011, version 14.3.8 and when it gets to the part to select which drive

to install it to, there is a yellow exclamation mark on my main iMac Hard Drive where Office 2011 for Mac IS installed.

I get an error message stating that "This software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."

My iMac IS running OS X 10.8.5.

I also tried downloading the installer and running it that way, same error.  Can't install latest update with security fixes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T07:51:18+00:00

    Although I can't verify it, I'm pretty sure that I have the Supplemental Update 12F45 installed that he reports as the cause of the problem.

    You can:

    go to Apple Menu - About this Mac - More Info - select Software on left side and you'll see System Version and code version

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T16:58:32+00:00

    Thx. Clicking on More Info in the About this Mac window shows the version. I do have 12F45 installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T17:11:13+00:00

    I don't want to test it by un-installiing Office 2011 as I do need the apps but I'm quite sure I have 12F45 installed as I ran an Apple update just recently.

    I checked my system, and I too have the 12F45 version installed:

    System Version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

     - Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T17:53:51+00:00

    Yes, I did understand about the supplemental but the combo updater might fix the issue for you if you have done the incremental updater prior to the supplemental. I have OS X 10.8.5 (12F45) and had no problems updating Office.

    I looked on Apple downloads and they have removed the combo prior to the supplemental being added. The link is exactly the same as 10.8.5 prior and after supplemental.

    When  the Microsoft updater checks the file for required software, if it's wrong it quits. Only Apple can fix this file. It's worth a shot to see if combo updater will fix the issue. It certainly doesn't hurt. It's only your time to download and run.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more