Mac Office 2011 Latest Update won't install on OSX 10.8.5

Anonymous
2013-10-11T22:35:00+00:00

I just ran the update program for Word for 2011, version 14.3.8 and when it gets to the part to select which drive

to install it to, there is a yellow exclamation mark on my main iMac Hard Drive where Office 2011 for Mac IS installed.

I get an error message stating that "This software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."

My iMac IS running OS X 10.8.5.

I also tried downloading the installer and running it that way, same error.  Can't install latest update with security fixes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T14:55:51+00:00

    I've just reported it there including the information provided by WhiteMarius this morning. Although I can't verify it, I'm pretty sure that I have the Supplemental Update 12F45 installed that he reports as the cause of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T14:57:36+00:00

    I don't want to test it by un-installiing Office 2011 as I do need the apps but I'm quite sure I have 12F45 installed as I ran an Apple update just recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T21:04:54+00:00

    You could try running the Apple Combo over your install to see if that helps. Apple has removed the combo without the supplemental updater included.

    OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) 831.81 MB

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

    Oct 3, 2013

    Includes the supplemental update

    Combo updaters will install on the same version as they're applying--no need to roll back or do a clean install.

    MORE INFO ON WHY RUNNING COMBO FIXES ISSUES

    Apple updates available from the Software Update application are incremental updates. Delta updates are also incremental updates and are available from Apple Downloads (software updates are generally smaller than delta updates). The Combo updates contain all incremental updates and will update files that could have become corrupted.

    Combo updaters will install on the same version as they're applying--no need to roll back or do a clean install. So if you think you've got a borked 10.8.4 install from a regular update, just run the 10.8.4 Combo Updater on that system.

    "Delta" updaters can only take you from one version to the next. For example: 10.8.3 to 10.8.4. If somehow the 10.8.3 is missing something it should have, and that something isn't changed between 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 it will still be stale after the delta update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T01:44:02+00:00

    So I'm having this problem too on my MacBook. Just got a new hard drive today, using 10.8.5 OS and trying to download Office 2011 all day, no go. I really don't want to download a new OS, any advice?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-15T07:23:22+00:00

    You could try running the Apple Combo over your install to see if that helps. Apple has removed the combo without the supplemental updater included.

    OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) 831.81 MB

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

    Oct 3, 2013

    Includes the supplemental update

    Combo updaters will install on the same version as they're applying--no need to roll back or do a clean install.

    Maybe I was not clear enough :)

    If you suggest to use Combo v. which includes Supplemental Update, it will be impossible to install Office update because:

    Combo 10.8.5 released on September updates the system to the 12F37, fully compatible with Office 2011 because recognized by the Installer.

    Combo 10.8.5 with S.U. released on October 3d updates to the 12F45, not yet recognized by the Installer.

    Apple Mac OS X version code 12F45 and MS Office 14.3.8 were released just a few days away from each other. This could be the reason and the only solution I see is to wait for an Office installer update

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments