Mac Office 2011 Latest Update won't install on OSX 10.8.5

Anonymous
2013-10-11T22:35:00+00:00

I just ran the update program for Word for 2011, version 14.3.8 and when it gets to the part to select which drive

to install it to, there is a yellow exclamation mark on my main iMac Hard Drive where Office 2011 for Mac IS installed.

I get an error message stating that "This software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."

My iMac IS running OS X 10.8.5.

I also tried downloading the installer and running it that way, same error.  Can't install latest update with security fixes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-13T00:38:02+00:00

    I've seen several reports recently like this. It's unclear if this is an Apple issue or a Microsoft issue. Have you done a firmware update recently or replaced your internal hard drive?

    Nope, no updates or changes in hardware.  Just the OS X updates as they come along.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-13T00:39:42+00:00

    A firmware update could cause the info to be read incorrectly as well as when you change out drives. 

    Not everyone was experiencing this problem and I'm just trying to determine what the differences are on your computer that is causing this behavior.

    No firmware or hard drive changes to my iMac.  Just continue to run the OSX updates as they are available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-13T00:44:08+00:00

    I only install the updates that Apple publishes. I recall there was a recent firmware update. Have not replaced the drive on my less than a year old MacBook Pro.

    This one I'm pretty sure is a Microsoft issue and my guess is they haven't updated their installer to reflect what Apple has done with its updates. Why should it think I'm running a pre 10.5.8 version which is a few years old when I'm running 10.8.5?

    I agree with you.  Every piece of software including all of the Adobe Creative Cloud apps I installed this past month all work fine.  Quicken, Microsoft Office 2011 (except for the security update we are discussing, all run fine.

    I did recently install the Skydrive.app program on my computer recently...I wonder if that is the problem?

    I have both a PC and an iMac.  I use Skydrive for Windows Office 2013, as well as Dropbox on my iMac and PC.

    Anyone else recently install the Skydrive app on their Mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-13T22:05:23+00:00

    I suggest everyone send Microsoft feedback so this can be documented. I have reported it also.

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T09:20:03+00:00

    It's unclear if this is an Apple issue or a Microsoft issue

    Microsoft Office installer recognizes OS X 10.8.5 (12F37) but not the last Supplemental Update version code 12F45, so, when someone try to install Office 14.3.8 update, the installer says that the software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later.

    Cross-check: if you have a Mac updated to 10.8.5 Supp.Upd. and you uninstall Office 2011, you'll not be able to install it again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments