Mac Office 2011 Latest Update won't install on OSX 10.8.5

Anonymous
2013-10-11T22:35:00+00:00

I just ran the update program for Word for 2011, version 14.3.8 and when it gets to the part to select which drive

to install it to, there is a yellow exclamation mark on my main iMac Hard Drive where Office 2011 for Mac IS installed.

I get an error message stating that "This software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."

My iMac IS running OS X 10.8.5.

I also tried downloading the installer and running it that way, same error.  Can't install latest update with security fixes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T17:55:15+00:00

    I have Mavericks and the combo update doesn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-21T19:56:05+00:00

    One reply in this thread seemed to indicate that hiding it fixed the problem. Perhaps they meant that if you deleted it, this could be the cause so you would need to restore.

    This post is getting a bit long to follow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-21T10:39:51+00:00

    Of course the visibility of "mach_kernel" is not causing the problem.

    Simply, people trash it  or tamper with it ... and run into troubles.

    At least in 3 cases I could observe.

    Eric DV

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T21:09:16+00:00

    I, in fact, trashed the mach_kernel file on the macbook which wouldn't update Microsoft Office. I copied the file from my other machine and put the copy in the root directory of my MacBook, and updating went smoothly.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T18:57:38+00:00

    My 'mach_kernel' is visible and I had no problems updating Microsoft Office. Just because it's visible does not cause the problem. This suggests other issues with the update. As users have reported here re-installing Mountain Lion fixed the problem for them.

    OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) is due out this week hopefully up-graders will see this problems resolved by the new OS X.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments