Mac Office 2011 Latest Update won't install on OSX 10.8.5

Anonymous
2013-10-11T22:35:00+00:00

I just ran the update program for Word for 2011, version 14.3.8 and when it gets to the part to select which drive

to install it to, there is a yellow exclamation mark on my main iMac Hard Drive where Office 2011 for Mac IS installed.

I get an error message stating that "This software requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."

My iMac IS running OS X 10.8.5.

I also tried downloading the installer and running it that way, same error.  Can't install latest update with security fixes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-21T19:56:05+00:00

    One reply in this thread seemed to indicate that hiding it fixed the problem. Perhaps they meant that if you deleted it, this could be the cause so you would need to restore.

    This post is getting a bit long to follow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-12T23:02:15+00:00

    A firmware update could cause the info to be read incorrectly as well as when you change out drives. 

    Not everyone was experiencing this problem and I'm just trying to determine what the differences are on your computer that is causing this behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-12T20:15:54+00:00

    I only install the updates that Apple publishes. I recall there was a recent firmware update. Have not replaced the drive on my less than a year old MacBook Pro.

    This one I'm pretty sure is a Microsoft issue and my guess is they haven't updated their installer to reflect what Apple has done with its updates. Why should it think I'm running a pre 10.5.8 version which is a few years old when I'm running 10.8.5?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-12T20:03:14+00:00

    I've seen several reports recently like this. It's unclear if this is an Apple issue or a Microsoft issue. Have you done a firmware update recently or replaced your internal hard drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-12T04:07:35+00:00

    I tried all these steps and the installer still brings up the error described in the original post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments