Microsoft office Click-to-run process running with high CPU and memory

Anonymous
2015-01-04T09:11:11+00:00

HI There,

I have a HP pavilion laptop running windows 8.1 and office 2013.

Things have been fine from Feb to until Nov this year, after which point I noticed the mouse cursor showing the busy revolving circle all the time, performance was reduced and the computer sounded like it was constantly working.

I traced the problem to the Microsoft office Click-to-run process running with high CPU (5+%) and memory (50+mb). If I restarted the click-to-run service the use of computer resources dropped to minimal and the problems described in the first paragraph disappeared.

Unfortunately as time has gone on an error occurs when trying to stop the click-to-run process so the above restart fix does not work and the longer the laptop is on the worse the performance gets.

I have reinstalled office twice, I hace clicked the office repair option and searched the web for a solution all to no avail.

Please can somebody help find a solution as it is driving me mad and making my new laptop unusable. BTW my partner has a similar laptop setup with no issues.

Kind Regards

Bob.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-20T15:29:20+00:00

Hi There,

I solve my problem.

Symptoms:

  • Process Office 15 click-to-run running constantly 20% CPU
  • Process MSOSYNC (document cache) 0% CPU and still restarting (on bacground)

The main problem is Document cache, because process MSOSYNC is not loaded and any orange tray icon (with arrow) as Office document cache in task bar is not visible.

How to solve this problem:

  1. disable service click-to-run (in services - set disabled)
  2. restart computer (click-to-run will be not loaded)
  3. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Spw and delete all files
  4. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache and delete all files
  5. enable service click-to-run (set automatic)
  6. restart computer

The problem is solved - for me.

Was this answer helpful?

900+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-14T20:28:12+00:00

    Hi There,

    I solve my problem.

    Symptoms:

    • Process Office 15 click-to-run running constantly 20% CPU
    • Process MSOSYNC (document cache) 0% CPU and still restarting (on bacground)

    The main problem is Document cache, because process MSOSYNC is not loaded and any orange tray icon (with arrow) as Office document cache in task bar is not visible.

    How to solve this problem:

    1. disable service click-to-run (in services - set disabled)
    2. restart computer (click-to-run will be not loaded)
    3. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Spw and delete all files
    4. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache and delete all files
    5. enable service click-to-run (set automatic)
    6. restart computer

    The problem is solved - for me.

    You are great ,

    solved my issue like magic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-02T09:44:29+00:00

    Thank you very much! SPW is not always there, but you solved it for me!

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-06T16:28:22+00:00

    Alas, it appears to be version 16.0 and now the steps don't work. No Spw folder (apparently they've renamed it or are trying something else, but it still takes 20% CPU... unacceptable!

    Also, no OfficeFileCache anymore, so no files to delete, again, either renamed or hidden, or something else.  So, other than stopping the service, which I haven't tried because of the complaints listed, I'm not sure what to do now.  20% interferes with timing in games and such.  I imagine, if ClickToRun wants to run an update, it can probably do that and interfere with a lot more stuff.

    Anyone else with ideas, sure would love to hear them!

    Thanks for what you've done, perhaps some people will be able to fix this if they haven't kept up to date, like I always do. :-(

    I started looking for a problem when I kept getting booted off my MMO I play and no one else, or few (I found no others), were having my issue.  I've shut down and disabled so many services, as I suspected something was interfering.  I've kept a record of default settings, in case I need to go back.  (Of course, I've kept all the critical stuff running), mostly I've shut down update services, especially Acronis; I think they're trying to. "Take over the world", and here I thought Microsoft was the worst.

    Anyway, it always seems we're fighting a "I got here first" battle with services trying to take over as ruler of our computers.  It's a long time in coming; but, we need to have better control over when certain services run, it's just not working that something can update whenever it feels like updating, and then taking over the machines resources when it's not convenient to us, the user.   For most, it's probably, and might actually be no problem; but, for us high end users who know what needs what to run, and run at the edge of technology, especially regarding internet bandwidth, and graphics, and mathematical processing... 'give me "MORE" control', not less.   I know I need the updates; I just don't want them happening willy nilly.  I do sleep, and would be completely willing to leave my machine alone for 8 hours to do what it needs to do;  or even at other times of the day.   Simply put, if I'm doing something; don't butt in... Microsoft.  MS should be the one to fix this; with everything ultimately going to regular updates through the internet... this part of the machine needs to be a lot smarter, with some controls to manage the activity...  for goodness sake I hope they realize this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-06T16:30:28+00:00

    Now the other part is not there either... and none of this works... (sigh).  For some reason I'm always up to date, and apparently MS didn't want people doing this.  Instead of taking out our ability to fix this our way, they should find some way to allow us to manage things on our terms.  What in the heck could they be doing constantly to need 20% cpu time?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments