I have had my computer for less than one month. I do NOT have the OneDrive program enabled because (1) the internet is HARDLY secure currently, even with malware detection and other security software fully enabled, and (2) until MS and Apple fix the opportunity
for malware to run under spyware installed silent Linux/Debian OS, I sincerely doubt that any of the security software out there looks for it.
Therefore, it is entirely possible that instances of a PC being taken over via external PC desktop jacking, using an app like One Note, is entirely possible.
I am running under the new Win 10 1703 build (Fall Creator update) and am currently using Office 365 in freebie 30-day trial, provided gratuitiously along with much bloatware, on my HP Pavillion. I have used the new office software zero times, just installed
it and left it, as soon as I realized that my docs were being uploaded, continuous saved and stored in the Cloud whenever I accessed and worked on them. Not secure, not safe, and easily targeted for appending Linux malware to them.
That said, I have encounted this particular problem with Windows 8.1 and Office 2010 in the past, and of course, we did not have One Drive then either. It has to be as stated, it's some sort of syncing issue, and it may be related to MS control settings
that are supposed to stop updates that hogging bandwith.
I think this is a OS control and update issue, even when one doesn't have an online Cloud storage package like One Drive activated. The elves at MS obviously are expecting end users to have it activated, and it may be that Office 365 and other versions
of Office (new and old) have been updated to several times daily seek sync status with One Drive (regardless of activation status). Worse it may well conflict with other enduser software attempting routine updating. So it may be useful to note the time that
the problem starts, to see if it is the case.
That might explain what we are seeing, and a where a fix may need to be requested. This is speculation, and I could be wrong. I would sure like MS to address this issue of CPU hogging. It occurred for me for the last several days, probably after a recent
security patch installation for Office.
I was not running Win Office Click to Run, and had 4 instances of the software engaged, which I presume is for Word, Excel and Powerpoint or OneNote.
Verbose mode off.
(yep, also been an MS OS user since the beginning).