Error 30174-4

Anonymous
2014-02-25T22:17:56+00:00

When I try to download Office Home & Business 2013, I'm getting this error. 

I can not find Office on my computer, however it's listed in my programs.  When I try to uninstall it I get the following error.

I need to get this installed and setup. 

Thank you!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-25T18:28:57+00:00

    To all who have struggled with this issue....

    I too have ran into the SonicWall / 30174-4 Office365 Install error.  I have not found a fix, nor will I stop looking (cause this is driving me crazy).  Let me share with you what I have found thus far....

    I have a pair of NSA 3500's, configured for high availability (Fail Over).  I have found when the click-to-run installer is used behind this firewall, in any zone, the install will fail anywhere between 25-75%, with the error 30174-4.  Microsoft, thank you at least bringing back error codes (previous failures just echoed:  "Something Went Wrong", no error codes).  To reset the installation (prep to try again), I am using the click-to-run uninstall cab found here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501/en-us  This clears all settings and services as well has allows for the install to run again.

    If the 3500 is bypassed (usable IP in WAN Zone/Network), the installation works fine, ruling out AV software issues, etc.  I have ran the click-to-run behind a TZ210 (fairly basic config), with the same AV software, Install works just fine.  I have also traveled to a colleagues network (University of Utah Network), which is a heavily filtered network.  He too has in inbound Sonicwall 3500 protecting a segment of his network, from which I ran the click-to-run, and the installation worked just fine (working through campus filtering, transparent firewalls and who knows what else).

    I compared notes on basic and advanced setups, we have very similar configurations, the differences being in networks and firewall rule sets.  I was unable to find a difference that explains this behavor.  I have continued to run the install and track back through logs expecting to see notification of "blocked" traffic for some rule set.  To date I have not seen any such log entry.  I have tried turning off IDS, IPS, and content filtering, yielding the same results (failed install, no log entries).  I am currently working under the impression there is a lower level setting (such as adherence to RFC rules, stealth mode settings or IGMP settings) that is causing the problem and as such is not being reported in the log files.  I believe Microsoft is using some sort of multicasting protocol to deliver the click-to-run package and this is being filtered or broken by the firewall.

    I hope this info helps someone.  I have being fighting this issue for close to six months.  Due to the work around of installing off network or bypassing the primary firewall, this has fallen off my priority list.  As soon as I have more time, I will be opening up a support case with SonicWall, in hopes of finding someone smarter or with more experience than me.

    If I ever do find the answer, I will be sure to post it.  Good Luck to all and please post your findings as this information may help others to find the answer (or me!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-29T12:03:50+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-04T16:13:15+00:00

    I was having same issues.

    When setting up a new laptop we purchased wrong office and needed outlook so we ended up buying outlook 2013 but I couldn't get it to install or run any office repairs.

    just kept getting error codes like you have been.

    So i removed office and tried to reinstall fresh and needed Fix it tool. then nothing would reinstall, and this is after trying all the different network connections: wifi, mobile hotspot, hard wired etc... just to get everything to download and install even tried installing form burnt disk.

    The Thing that actually fixed everything was logging in a as a Local user. Office 2013 doesn't play nice with domains.This little factoid would have saved me a huge headache the other day.

    So, try logging in as a local admin install Office 2013 and see if that fixes your issue.

    PS. I'm assuming your a domain user :p

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-07T21:21:20+00:00

    I was having the same error tonight, and went a bit scorched earth on it but was able to get this working again.

    Since I could not repair, repair online, or uninstall due to this error, I deleted everything in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office, as well as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ClickToRun, and also C:\ProgramData\regid.1991-06.com.microsoft\

    Then also deleted registry keys for HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform

    With all of that gone, it let me remove the control panel \ Programs entry with an uninstall (nothing really uninstalled, just said could not find and then removed).

    I was then able to download and run a fresh Click-To-Run installer, and it installed fine but didn't ask me for a license key and also did not activate. Had to call microsoft but worked with the automated system and activated with a verification code.

    All set. I'm sure less could be done, but this process has fixed up every dumb Click-To-Run error I've encountered by completely removing click to run from the computer.

    I executed these steps from Safe Mode to ensure as clean a system as possible.  When I restarted, I was able to run the Click-to-Run installer with no problems...  Thanx for the help, Sean!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-24T19:12:24+00:00

    So I ran into this same error while trying to install from an offline CTR setup. I had installed it on this machine the other day, but had to change my install order of a couple different versions of Office for plugin compatibility. When I went to install my O365 Office 2013 CTR, I got this error. Reading through everyone's responses and I kept seeing talk about this proxy shenanigans, it made me realize I've already got all of the files, why do I need to be online? So I disabled my NIC and sure enough, installs just fine. 

    Don't you just love how there isn't an ISO for this? You know that this went through many layers of approval and they all said the same thing... this command line tool coupled with an XML file is the way to do it. 

    tl;dr Disable your NIC if you've already got the files downloaded for Click To Run before installing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments