Cannot resize table columns in word 2013

Anonymous
2015-01-15T19:51:53+00:00

I have just recently started using MS Office 2013. In the past, it was EASY to create a table and then highlight a column and hover over the vertical line between columns, the mouse pointer would change to the nifty little arrow line arrow pointer, and then you could drag the column and change its width. it was easy, intuitive, simple, -- a total no-brainer.

Now in Word 2013, that no longer works. I cannot drag the column widths, and I cannot change the width at all for the columns in my table.

I have looked for settings in many places, but I cannot seem to get the table to allow me to drag and resize the columns in any way.

It is very annoying that such simple intuitive functionality from past versions does not work anymore in Office 2013, Word 2013.

Stefan's answer is only a partial answer. no idea why the tables were locked, but the long urls was a side issue related issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-01-15T20:28:26+00:00

    I have no problem dragging column borders here. Can you change the widths in the Table Properties dialog box?

    Could you share an example document that includes a problem table?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-27T10:30:20+00:00

    I found that unchecking that box AND removing all merged cells allowed me to resize columns, something that has been easy to do for what, 20 years?

    It simply stuns me that MS allowed this to ship. It's unbelievable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-01T22:52:06+00:00

    This worked for me (on Word 2016 for Windows). I unchecked the option for different odd/even header/footer and after that could once again resize column widths by dragging the column vertical border. Seems like a bug to me - I hope it gets fixed in a future update. Thank you for the tip, I was going mad with this problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-22T19:51:01+00:00

    I have my page set up for duplex... I found that I can adjust table columns just like always when it's on the ODD page, but as soon as I try to adjust anything on the EVEN page, they don't work no matter what I do.  

    My solution was to insert a page break to force to an odd page, adjust table, then remove my page break.  

    This workaround works on my system. Thank you for the suggestion!

    For reference, my software version is:

    Office Professional Plus 2016

    Version 1710

    Build 8625.2127

    I've been using this same template for several years, including for over a year with Word 2016 with no modifications to the template. I created a new document from the two days ago, and have experienced this table resizing problem for the first time.

    Correspondingly, I would lean towards this being a new issue, introduced by a recent Office update. But, looking at the dates on the other posts in this thread, that clearly can't be the (only) case. I'm not sure why this problem just now arose in my environment,. Nonetheless, I appreciate everyone offering their opinions. Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-01-15T23:12:20+00:00

    You'll find instructions on wrapping long URLs in the article at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NoWidthSpace.htm. The article may not be updated for the most recent versions of Word, but the basic principles still apply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments