A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
It does not happen in my PowerPoint.
In Word, try Draft View as a workaround.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Currently in Word 2011 14.4.7 on OS X 10.10.1 (but the problem has existed forever).
Whenever I edit a Word document containing tables with text in the table cells, once the blinking I-beam cursor is inside table cells, it tends to stop blinking and disappear altogether for entire seconds on end. This makes it very difficult to keep track of where one's cursor actually is.
Why does this keep happening?
Same thing in text boxes and other "text within a frame" contexts.
Pierre Igot
--
BETALOGUE - Weblog at http://www.betalogue.com | @betalogue
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It does not happen in my PowerPoint.
In Word, try Draft View as a workaround.
On a side note, I can reproduce this in a test user environment with zero custom settings:
No more cursor. Ahem.
Sure, it's PowerPoint, not Word. But to me it's a sign of how much Microsoft's engineers care about the reliable blinking of the I-beam cursor in Microsoft apps in OS X.
The only possibly "unique" thing is that I am describing the bug more accurately than other reports, because I have extensive experience with it (see posts above).
That doesn't mean that other complaints about the disappearing cursor don't involve text boxes as well.
There are complaints about disappearing cursor. But what was unique about this was with Text box. And that is eve more unique.
_________
Disclaimer:
The opinions, replies & answers are solely mine and mine alone, and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.
Just to add to the "you appear to be the only one with this unique problem" assertion:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/139199/always-show-text-cursor-while-moving-it-in-word
Different user, same problem, no solution either.
For your information.
And of course, more generally, a Google search:
disappearing cursor in word for Mac
returns plenty of hits (not just my stuff).
Pierre