Review comments disappeared

Anonymous
2014-05-04T12:30:54+00:00

So I've spend long hours addressing student coursework, giving comments on their projects.  They said the comments wouldn't work so I re-opened their documents and they appear to be correct.  Where are all my comments gone?  The actual comment boxes are still there but they are empty.  This is incredibly annoying.  Can I get them back or have they gone forever?  Screen shot provided for reference.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*****

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T15:27:35+00:00

    Well, I just found this forum because it's apparently still a glitch that hasn't been fixed for about five years now. I have Office 2019 and I just experienced this happening. Basically, I lost an entire edited document with comments. The in-line edits are still visible, but none of the comments are. Thankfully, this appears to have only impacted one document. Sigh...

    Jason

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-11T09:43:30+00:00

    Last words...

    If the XML elements are not described in the data file component of the Word document (when you view the documents component parts via creating a zip extension) then they simply do not exist and you are stuffed. 

    Only positive suggestion I can make is to save a copy of the file as a PDF with the comments enabled for printing (so that they show in the pdf file when printed). That way, at least you have a) hopefully a local saved copy with comments b) a copy in pdf with comments you can send. 

    NB: this topic has been going on for 4 years now so I'm out of here....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-29T13:16:55+00:00

    Trouble is Patricia, the file looks okay until you send it, then the receiving party finds it is missing comments. BTW, you can unzip by changing file extension directly from .docx to .zip - Windows magic (presumably a de-zipper) does the rest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T21:29:46+00:00

    No change for me. Plus, my problem includes a loss of the commentor identification, not just text.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T21:27:24+00:00

    Sadly, its nothing I can share. Also, I read all the posts. You have examined others' files. Have you found anything helpful?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments