Word TAB INDICATOR missing

Anonymous
2014-05-14T08:16:58+00:00

The TAB INDICATOR now shows only as a blank icon and no tabs show on the ruler. My tab indicator and tabs were fine until recently. Running Word 2013 on Win 8. How can I fix this, please?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2014-08-21T21:24:31+00:00

The fix for this bug has been released as KB2883058 as part of the August 2014 updates. If you have Office 365, the fix will be included in the August automatic updates; otherwise it will appear in the August Patch Tuesday downloads in Windows Update or can be obtained from the link above.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2014-07-27T16:27:39+00:00

There is an issue causing tab stops and indent indicators to disappear from the ruler in Word 2013. The problem is being investigated by the Office team, and a fix is expected. Meanwhile, the following are workarounds recommended by Microsoft:

  • Start Word first, with a blank document, and then open the document you are going to read or edit.​
  • Avoid having a table as the first item in a document (at present it appears that this is the cause of the problem).

While other procedures may clear the problem temporarily, none is a permanent fix, and they do not address the underlying problem issue.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-11T15:46:12+00:00

    I am having the same problem.  The document is one that was created in Word 2010. It has a table as the first thing in the document. The tab selection indicator is missing as I edit.  I have found if I go into Options and change the background they will reappear - but that is just a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T21:19:15+00:00

    The document starting with a table can't be the answer.  The problem I have comes after I've already started a document with a table at the top.  The tabs are there for a while and then they disappear.  Sometimes restarting Word helps and sometimes it doesn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T12:24:13+00:00

    I have a Lenovo and just started experiencing the exact same problem. I can see the tab markers only when a blank document was previously and still is opened. Yesterday, I changed the background to the Windows 7 default and this fixed the problem ... but only temporarily, as this morning the tab markers had disappeared again. I've just reinstalled Word 2013 64 bits -- that's all I can this off.

    Seems to me as a Microsoft bug...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments