"Read Mode" in Word 2013 does not look as the "Take a Tour" document says - wonder why so?

Anonymous
2014-06-02T05:36:46+00:00
  • This question is based on Take a Tour document of Word 2013.

  • It says, as you see in the image below, that I can view a Word document in Read Mode where as the icon shows, the document will appear in book fold

  • But then, as I click on Read Mode Icon, the following is what I get, NOT in book fold view as the icon shows

  • Wonder, why it is so, or what have I done wrong?
Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T17:57:13+00:00

               

    However, note that monitor size and screen resolution are factors at work here. If you reduce the zoom below 100%, then does the display resemble what you would expect?

    Thanks.

    No.

    • The following screenshot (view >> read mode >> view >> layout >> paper layout) is displayed in 20% zoom out state -

    • Whereas, the following screenshot (view >> read mode >> view >> layout >> column layout) was displayed in 100% (no zoom out, no zoom in) state -

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-02T17:39:40+00:00

    Generally, uninstalling and reinstalling usually do not fix problems that repairing can't fix.

    However, note that monitor size and screen resolution are factors at work here. If you reduce the zoom below 100%, then does the display resemble what you would expect?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T15:24:20+00:00

    In Read Mode, click View | Layout | Column Layout. Does that fix the problem?

    When Online Repair of Office 2013 did not help, I tried in "Read Mode" View | Layout | Column Layoutand I got the following at 100% screen (1360 x 768).

    In Word 2007 + Windows 7, I used to get a neat book like view and it never occupied the whole screen at 100% --

    Would you think that uninstalling and then reinstalling Office 2013 may help? Or, does that serve the same purpose as Online Repair?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T14:50:20+00:00

    Yes, you can do an Office Repair.   It usually does not cause any problems, and should only take a few minutes.

    Earlier, I had done a Quick Repair. This time, I did Online Repair. No change in view (Read Mode).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-02T13:41:44+00:00

    In Read Mode, click View | Layout | Column Layout. Does that fix the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments