Resolved: Very Large XLS File Problems in Excel 2013 - Excel Cannot Successfully Sort Files With Large Numbers of Rows

Anonymous
2014-04-17T17:48:00+00:00

=====================================

**EDIT: The sorting problem described below isnow resolved with the latest Office update from Microsoft.  See here for instructions on how to update Office to Service Pack 1:**http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update-office-2013-manually

======================================

All these problems are occurring on Excel 2013 on a Lenovo ThinkPad W540 with 16GB of RAM running Windows 8.1 Pro(Intel i7-4800Q CPU). Note:  I do not have these issues working with the exact same large file on a Lenovo ThinkPad T400 running Windows 7 and Excel 2010, although it is (obviously) much slower. The problems seem to be related to either Windows 8.1 Pro or Excel 2013 (UPDATE: It seems like Excel 2013 is, in fact, the culprit).  Seems to me that having a more powerful box + updated OS and Office should make it easier to work with large files, as opposed to the other way around.

Does anyone have a fix for the following issues?

Problem #1:  Large XLS FIles Open As Blank When Other XLS Files Are Also Open in Excel 2013 on Windows 8.1

I'm experiencing an issue where very large XLS files open as blank if you try and open them after opening a smaller file.  Large files open just fine after opening another smaller one.

To reproduce:

  1. Open a small file (I'm opening one that is 70KB), then;
  2. Open 300MB+ xls file (the one I am opening is 316MB), then;
  3. See the following blank screen.  All menus do not display and the content also does not display.

Note that once I close both files and then try again to open the large file alone, it opens just fine and displays fine (although then experiences problem #2 below).  The issue seems to be with having a smaller file open at the same time as the large one.

Problem #2: Deleted Columns Continue to Display After Deletion in Large XLS Files in Excel 2013 on Windows 8.1

To reproduce:

  1. Delete one column in a xls file with approximately 700,000 rows (again this is a large 300MB+ file),
  2. Excel still displays the deleted column after deletion.  (although you cannot interact with it -- it's not actually there...it just displays as there)
  3. However, if you then save the file, close it, and then open the file back up again, you see that the deleted column is, in fact gone.

Is this a display bug?

Problem #3: Sorting Large Numbers of Rows Does Not Workin Large XLS Files in Excel 2013 on Windows 8.1.  Excel cannot sort large numbers of rows.

To reproduce:

  1. Open a file containing 700,000 rows with three columns of data
  2. Sort by Column A on Values in A to Z order (or any order/values/column combination)
  3. Click OK
  4. See that the sorting never occurred, and there was no error message

Note: If you then select a subset of the 700,000 rows (experimentation has shown me that you must select fewer than 5,000 rows), then sorting will happen successfully.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-26T01:31:07+00:00

Raju,

BINGO! I found the solution went to File- Account - Office Updates & appended.

There must have been a patch undocumented but I can sort a million rows.

Mukund.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-07T13:46:46+00:00

    But How we can solve this issue? even i am also facing the same issue with huge file and the problem is related to win 8.1 only its working fine with win 7...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-01T05:59:38+00:00

    Sorry Pastorbadger, I wasn't writing this to "hijack" the thread - it was just something I noticed and wasn't sure if it was a contributor to the speed issues people have listed in this thread. It wasn't my intention to highlight this as a separate issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-01T03:37:24+00:00

    "Thread Hijacking" aside, we've still got Excel 2013 which does nothing when you click on the sort button.  And no response from Microsoft.  

    Ahhh!  Who wants to sort in a spreadsheet, anyway?  Next, we'll be wanting add two numbers together or to paginate a Word document.  There's just no satisfying some customers.  Th-bl-bl-bl-bl!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-30T21:02:23+00:00

    I'm not sure if it's related, but I noticed that when I was creating Excel files in Win 8/Office 2013 and then using those files in Win 7/Office 2010 There were add-ins that appear to have been created in the workbooks VBA project (which would affect start time) - ones that I didn't create or add to my original workbook. This might be a compatibility issue whereby Win8 or Office 13 uses these add-ins for backwards compatibility.

    That's just my 2 cents - thought I'd share nonetheless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments