Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T20:46:03+00:00

    Found the issue but it just started in Word 2016. Was not happening in Word 2007.

    I was working in Web Layout mode - I changed to Print Layout Mode and everything was displayed. Not sure why the images were all showing blank in Web Layout Mode but at least I found the way around it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T20:12:05+00:00

    Has anyone been able to determine whether this issue is related to computing power?  Would a machine with a faster processor and more RAM still present the same issues in Word?  

    Thanks, 

    Joshua

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-02T23:50:25+00:00

    Gary and Joshua,

    I've tried to find a solution for a couple of months and there doesn't seem to be one, so I've given up on Word and started using InDesign for large documents with images.

    Sorry I have no good news for you, but it sounds like it keeps popping up as an issue so hopefully Microsoft will have a look at a solution.

    Good Luck

    Cheers

    TP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-30T16:15:43+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with Word 2016. I have a large document (40,533 KB). Images appear throughout the first 150-200 pages and then suddenly no images. They are .jpg files and even though I insert them, they do not appear. However, I can click where they should be and a quick image displays and goes away and it shows in upper left corner the length and width of an image that is not displaying so something is there - just not displaying.

    No red X or anything - just a blank empty space where the image should be displayed and is obviously there but not displaying.

    From the point where this starts to the end of the document, no images display. It does appear that Word 2016 (365) cannot handle images past a certain file size which is hard to believe from Microsoft = but maybe not.. If it can't even hand this size document with images, is it really worth having?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T07:28:06+00:00

    I am a Lutheran Pastor and have been using Word to create our bulletins for years.  Using Word 2013 is still fairly recent for my secretary and I in this congregation.  We include numerous musical files within the text and we have been making our weekly bulletins more comprehensive, i.e.: larger files with more images.  Lately, we are experiencing the same problems with Word files across multiple computers:  images (tiff files of music images) disappearing and making the file impossible to edit or print.  Interestingly, my secretary has been reporting that her Mac does not have the same problem with the same files. 

    This is truly becoming a major impediment.  Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments