Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-18T03:59:43+00:00

    Do you have a copy of the original document that displayed all of the images in Word 2010 that you can upload?  If so, we can try and find out what is happening when it is opened\saved in Word 2013

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-18T01:32:44+00:00

    Doug,

    I don't understand anything in the second paragraph, but after that the file was saved in Word 2013 and it is the same when I open it in 2010, so it doesn't work in either.

    The document does show some images and not others which is why the sample I gave you had an example of images that appeared and images that don't appear, so you could see what I am seeing.

    I have linked the folder if that helps, but I don't think that is what you meant.

    If your getting some images and not others that is my exact problem, why does it do that and how can I stop it doing that. I don't really feel like inserting all the images again because I have no confidence that it wont happen again because I have already done that once.

    All of the images should be imbedded so they should travel with the document, I have done what I always do, but its gone haywire for some reason.

    The only different thing I have done this time is usedHeadingsto enable me to create an automated Table of Contents, but I don't see why that would stuff it all up.

    I have purchased InDesign and am working through tutorials, it looks like I will master InDesign before we workout the flaws in Word 2013.

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8D1252B44889CCF!6420&authkey=!AG1E8QgYnTrMZEc&ithint=folder%2cdocx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-17T22:23:40+00:00

    Opening the file here in Word 2010, the three images on the first page appear, but not the two on the second page.  The situation is the same if the document is opened in Word On-line.

    Renaming the file to 20151116_Disappearing Images--.zip and then opening the archive and looking the Word>Media folder in the archive, there are only three images in the folder and those are the three images that do appear on the first page of the document.

    Was the file on One Drive saved in Word 2013?  Can you also upload the file that appears OK in 2010.

    Note, it is better to set the FOLDER into which you upload the documents to be shared and then get a link to the FOLDER, rather than the documents themselves as sometimes it can be difficult to download documents themselves if they are shared directly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T21:54:39+00:00

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8D1252B44889CCF!6418&authkey=!APeKA9DdAOYsE9o&ithint=file%2cdocx

    Stefan,

    I haven't used OneDrive before so I hope this works.

    I pasted the top link in and inserted a hyperlink with the bottom one.

    Cheers

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8D1252B44889CCF!6418&authkey=!APeKA9DdAOYsE9o&ithint=file%2cdocx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-17T20:40:16+00:00

    You will have to upload the example file to OneDrive or Dropbox (or any cloud service of your choice), make the file public and post the link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments