Word starts deleting my document one letter at a time. Nothing will stop it.

Anonymous
2012-05-06T16:03:23+00:00

This has happened on two different computers with Word 2010 about once a month for a year.

First Word starts throwing in extra letters as you type. For example you type "hello" and word will type "heffffffffffhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Then you hit the back space key to undo the error.

With the error fixed you continue typing. Next you see an error and hit the delete key to fix it. Word starts to auto replete the delete key.

There is nothing you can do to stop it. It will continue until the complete document is deleted one character at a time. The only solution is to use task manager to shut down word and reopen an old version of the file.  This has happened to more than one file on more than one computer.  I have found other people looking for a solution to the same problem  on other internet forums and also here, but I've never found a solution posted.  Just generic answers like maybe its a virus or check everything in the registry.  I have a short video of it on YouTube called "Word auto deleting a file. Nothing will stop it".  if anyone wants to see it.  Any ideas for resolving this?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-05-07T18:55:18+00:00

Thanks for the idea but that's not it.

If you try holding down the Del key in Word until it auto repeats, all you have to do is hit the esc key to stop it. Try it yourself. 

When this happens to me NOTHING will stop it except closing Word in the task manager.

It's not a stuck key. (on both my computers)

I looked at the stuff Stefan linked to but it had to do with problems starting Word.  Word starts fine on both my systems.  It's a generic install using the defaults at every turn.  I've made no changes to the defaults and I have no addin's.

It's a software bug and it's been in Word for at least a year.

My Word installations (yes multiple) misbehave that way.  Which is why I strongly agree with Stefan's suggestion that it is an add-in or some other 3rd party tool.  Here are examples of unexpected behavior caused by 3rd party tools:

Clipboard functionality no longer allows ability to paste formatting in Office Apps – Skype error – Official notice

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2697462

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excel/thread/0cffef67-afca-45ad-b75d-3eeb4a859983

Starting in March 2012, "Skype click to Call" has been causing problems File Open problems, and Copy/Paste problems in Office Apps.

The quick test for this problem is to close all open browsers. If the problem goes away it is probably Skype.

March 30 – MS has released an update to Skype that fixes the problem.

<snip>

For anyone reading this, I figured out the problem after surfing the web for the past 3-4 weeks. Painful process. I have a paid version of Advanced SystemCare Pro, v5.2.0. 3-4 weeks ago, while scanning through it's vast offerings, I came across a feature I could activate called "Smart RAM". I turned it on and checked the 5 boxes it offers in the settings. The last of those 5 is "Clean Clipboard". I unchecked this box a few minutes ago and it fixed my issues. I now have no problems with copy/paste. Info only, it case it helps anyone.

<snip>

Bluetooth Fix: “Microsoft Word has stopped working”

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-microsoft-word-has-stopped-working

Alright, well, I found the answer to this final issue: I only needed to disable the Bluetooth add-in on Options. I have no idea why that would have been the problem, but I found it as a suggested fix here. Now every single thing opens quickly and without error.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

As a recap:

  • My Office 2010 was a Click-to-Run version
  • Word suddenly giving me messages about "Downloading the Required Feature," freezing up, slowing down...
  • Ultimately had to uninstall Office
  • Reinstalled it from the Microsoft website with my product key, choosing the 64-bit version instead of the Click-to-Run version
  • Installed all new updates from Windows Updates
  • Restarted computer
  • Word working quickly with no messages, but became unresponsive when trying to open old files
  • Went to File->Options->Add-Ins->Go-> and unchecked Bluetooth.
  • Everything seems to be back to normal, if not better than before.

My problem is if I copy text from a web site or from Excel, Access etc into Word all I get is a black spot.

I have tried a repair install and checking all the settings against my laptop - where this function works properly.

The problem is caused by a defective Bluetooth add-in for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, turn off the Com Addin.

Additional Notes:

  1. The defective Bluetooth add-in is usually installed by a Bluetooth driver. (In my case - Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed Adaptor (v1.1))
  2. Updating your Bluetooth driver (or reverting to an older version) may also resolve the problem.
  3. Unfortunately simply disabling the add-in through the Word options may result in a 3 second freeze when loading Word 2007. (If this is a problem, changing to a different bluetooth driver version may be the better option)

Another though just came to mind. Maybe you have a windows feature like "sticky keys" turned on. Take a look in Control Panel > Ease of Access > "Make your Keyboard Easier to Use" > Turn on Sticky Keys.

Don't guess! Work through the trouble shooting procedure that Stefan linked to. It will take 10 or 15 minutes to work though and then we will know for SURE.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-29T17:57:10+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-29T00:40:36+00:00

    OK. You should still troubleshoot for poorly designed add-ins. See the sections that refer to COM and Startup add-ins in the Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/921541.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-27T18:49:53+00:00

    If you start Word in Safe mode—once, just for troubleshooting—then do you see the symptoms?

    Here's how to start in Safe mode: Exit Word if it is currently running. Hold the Window logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type winword /safe and press Enter.

    Sorry for my delayed response. The deletion is not an every time thing, it happens randomly, so no way to tell if working in safe mode is different, unless i always open word in safe mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-12T18:53:26+00:00

    Were you ever able to find a solution for this problem?  This has now happened on three different laptops with Word 2013(part of Office 365)

    Well, there are many suggestions for troubleshooting in this thread. What have you tried so far?

    i have tried trouble shooting, word starts deleting text- apparently randomly. utilized a couple of different keyboards so not a "stuck key"

    only way to stop is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and end Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments