Sorry I bought Office 2013

Anonymous
2013-05-02T21:46:05+00:00

I think I made a huge mistake. At least, I see it as such right now. Maybe, someday, in the far distant future, I might think on it differently. I managed to get MS Office 2013. I hate it. I can't figure it out. They took all the functionality out of it. It opens to some stupid blue and white page that says Open, and has an arrow facing left. I can't find how to find my documents to view or work on. And that ugly, horrid, absolutely stupid "ribbon" is the worst mistake they have ever made -- except maybe for Vista. And there's something on here about "account". Whatever that is. When I did find a way to find a document to look at, half the page was taken up with that "ribbon" thing that is absolutely ugly and a waste of space. What was wrong with the nice little tool bar that had what was needed on it? Is there a way to set up my own personal toolbar? I haven't found a way yet. I tried to do a personalization, and manged to hide that ridiculous "ribbon" so it's not cluttering up my screen. I added the icons I want on the top, but when I click the folder that is supposed to show me my documents, it takes me out to that blue and white page, but not to the documents. I have to figure that out, someday. Otherwise, this is a complete waste of money. I really should demand my money back.  And I haven't even looked at Excel yet.

I'd love to get rid of the ribbon thing and get my toolbar back.  And, have a way of finding my documents without having 5 steps to get there.  I want to just open the little folder and have my documents there to search through.  Is there a way to do this?  If not, I would gladly trade Office 2013 for Office 2003!  At least that was a very functional, easy to use program.  This is one definitely not intuitive.  I'm not an amateur with computers.  I think of myself as being relatively competent.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-30T22:25:50+00:00

    Word 2013 is better than Word 2010 which is MUCH better than Word 2007. When I got Word 2007 I uninstalled it. The Ribbon takes getting used to. After a couple of years with Word 2010, I've come to like the Ribbon. Realize that Microsoft did not develop the Ribbon to help experienced users, it developed it to sell to new customers.

    That said, I still use Word 2003 for some work.

    Learn the keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl-H was Find and Replace in Word 97; it still is. Same with Ctrl-O, Ctrl-S, Ctrl-N, Ctrl-P Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Y and Ctrl-F.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-30T20:19:58+00:00

    There is no native way of searching for commands directly in the ribbon.

    You have to use tools like the Office Watch commandlist tools (Word & Excel 2010, Excel 2007). Using the macros I included to put the search on the QAT really helps.

    For Office 2007/2010 Microsoft research labs created a "search" addon that did search the ribbon. There has been no mention of updating it for 2013. It took over a year for the 2010 version to be released.

    2010 / 2007 Search Command Addon www.officelabs.com/projects/searchcommands/Pages/default.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-30T19:02:47+00:00

    There is a "classic" add on you can buy. http://www.addintools.com/office2010/word/

    Also, I think the secret to using Word 2013 is customizing your ribbon with the stuff you use the most. There's a handy list here, since I haven't figured out how to search the ribbon menu yet.

    http://office-watch.com/commandlist/Word_2010.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T15:05:40+00:00

    My son has been a beta tester for Microsoft, and he has told them his opinion on their changes, and every complaint he has issued has been ignored, and they have incorporated whatever they want.  He has told me that they do not listen to the public.  He and all the beta testers he knows have told them what they thought of the changes, and how the changes were not intuitive, or would not be welcomed.  And they are told that they are wrong and that the public wants the changes.  So, my opinion of Microsoft is not very high.  I know that whatever the public wants, Microsoft will do exactly the opposite.

    I am going to give Office a couple days, and then make my decision.  I don't need to obsess over this.  If I am still of the opinion that this software is not worth what I paid for it, I will follow the links to get my money back. And then I will go to one of the free Office Suites that I have already tried.  One of them does what I want to do.  And, I will keep searching my house for my missing Office 2003 disc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T03:20:01+00:00

    Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guideline

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2804532 - Manage Office 365 / 2013 Billing Options


    https://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

    NOTE:Print out this page and show it to the store!

    Hit them in the bottom line by “voting with your feet”, ask for your money back.


    Product Key Card vs. “Traditional” Retail disk - PKC Return policy

    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/office/Pages/office_2010_sell.aspx

    “Media less” Installations: Product Key Cards PKC (2010) / OEM / MLK(2007):

    ·         For use on new, preloaded PCs only

    ·         1 license / 1 device / non-transferable

    ·         Activates preloaded Office or Downloaded installation files

    ·         Does not include media

    Microsoft® Office 2010 Product Key Cards contains a 27 char “PIN” which you have to enter at a site to retrieve your 25 char product key. This key will activate Office on only one PC. No disc supplied. The PKC license is not transferable to another PC. Next week if your cat uses your computer as a litter box, you have to BUY A NEW PKC.

    If you “regret” your PKC purchase you can return it.

    <snip from the MS License Terms, Product Key Card section>

    IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE LICENSE TERMS, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. INSTEAD, RETURN YOUR PRODUCT KEY CARD TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A REFUND OR CREDIT.

    If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.

    </snip>


    Cancel / Return Online Order Support for both MS and Digital River

    https://buy.trymicrosoftoffice.com/buyusa/contactus.aspx?r=PN_USD&culture=en-US&resID=TWMEjAoBAlgAAAWdLpMAAABC


    I'm not going to disagree with most of what you said.  I'll try to address some of your points from the MS point-of-view (as I understand it).

    The Ribbon is designed to be easier for NEW users. Its design minimizes the experience of long time users.  It is designed to be "intuitive" for them, NOT for us. MS has statistics "proving" that the ribbon is "more user friendly" than the menu. For what statistics are worth ...  The Jensen Harris blog goes into the (ir)rationelle that went into the ribbon design process. It is a long read but explains some things.

    The bottom links I gave you are some to addon tools that recreate the menu withing the ribbon environment.  They are not perfect, but pretty good. I have not seen mention of any specifically for 2013 so you'll have to look at the sites to see what they say (if you do find any for 2013, I'd like to hear about them).


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments