How do I make the footers different on every page on Microsoft Word?

Anonymous
2012-04-10T14:11:06+00:00

I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-10T18:00:04+00:00

To actually create a new footer for each page, you'll need a section break at the end of each page (and you'll have to unlink the relevant footers). But in what respect should footers be different? For example, if you want to include text from the page, you can format that text in a unique style and then make use of the STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-13T01:59:19+00:00

    Here is more on the StyleRef Field. While there may be good reasons to have a section break, changing the footer to reflect the current chapter is not one of them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-12T20:56:50+00:00

    If Argument 1 and Argument 2 and so on are in the document body, you don't need any section breaks: you can use the STYLEREF field to pick up the text.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-12T20:11:02+00:00

    I have the same problem described here and I've been using word for many years.  Lets say your have a heading called "Argument 1" and you want to have your Footer (notice I DID NOT SAY FOOTNOTE) say "Page 1" Followed by "Argument 1", following pages should change just the page number until the "Argument 2" starts", at which point I want the Footer to change to "Page N" followed by "Argument 1 / Argument 2", followed by "Page N+1" and "Argument 2" until Argument 2 ends.

    One would think that Continuous Section Breaks at each page requiring a Footnote Transition would do this, and most of the time it does, however usually somewhere in the document "Continuous Section Breaks" start acting like "New Page Section Breaks", forcing my next argument to start on a new page for no reason I can figure out - in spite of lots of trying - and leaving most of a page blank.

    It would be very nice if I could just put my footers in by hand, and forget section breaks.  They frequently do not work correctly in complex documents and I find myself building my documents around what appear to be significant bugs in word, rather than building my document with word.

    I always manage, but its very time consuming.   A few times I have had to give up, and it usually occurs (I've noticed) if the line ends right on the margin edge before where I want to insert a section break and the line is proportionally spaced followed by a new line where the break must occur.  Its as though the section breaks are messed with by the formatting of a line before it somehow.  Most of my paragraphs are numbered.

    I am familiar with unlinking Footers, and usually do that early in my writing effort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-01-19T20:00:40+00:00

    If you are trying to bring in text from the main body of the document, look into the STYLEREF field.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments