My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T05:41:32+00:00

    It works !

    I had the same very annoying problem.  The only solution was to remove Skype and Skype click to call. So unfortunately i had to remove also Skype. I started having these problem last week after Skype installation. Office 2010 and new Skype is everything else than a good combination. I just can´t understand, why Office (paste tool) and Skype doesn´t work together.

    Br,

    Petteri

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-27T21:02:05+00:00

    This the right action.

    I performed also a Office 2010 repair and then I rebooted my PC.

    It solve the painter issue.

    It solve also the problem Ihad with Excel in copy and paste: the paste options disapear and excel was just able to paste the value and no more the formulas nor the format

    I kept Skype 5.8.0.158

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-26T19:40:24+00:00

    Users, please don't try an office repair.  It is Skype click to call.  If you want to verify quickly:

    1. Close Excel
    2. Start Firefox in safe mode (disables all add ons)
    3. Try paste special in Excel problem will NOT be there.
    4. Close excel
    5. Start Firefox normal
    6. try paste special problem will be back
    7. Close excel
    8. In firefox disable Skype click to call

    9 restart firefox

    1. restart excel
    2. Try paste special and it should work right.

    Big time bug I'd say.  Once you look this errata up you will find LOTS of fellow sufferers and a few who have disabled click to call as the solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-26T12:01:39+00:00

    Use the same basic procedure as in following tip, just change the name to "Skype Click to Call".

    Repair or Uninstall Office 2010 / 2007 - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments