My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-07T23:17:08+00:00

    You ROCK! Thank you for this! Totally solved a problem I've been having for MONTHS and was now critical! Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-07-05T12:46:35+00:00

    Rohn007 wrote that reply on March 14, when the problem was just emerging, and when the cause wasn't known yet. At that time, it made perfect sense to provide general trouble-shooting tips. It took a few days before it became clear that Skype Click to Call was the culprit. Skype released a corrected version in April, but it looks like the problem has reared it head again recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-05T09:07:29+00:00

    What you describe here does not relate at all with the problem of failing format painter. As suggested by other users, uninstalling Skype Click to call fixes the issue of format painter. Why spend hours on repairing MS Office, when a 30-second uninstallation can solve the problem? Thanks, anyway, for your time and effort in putting this together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-07T01:20:27+00:00

    It sounds like you didn't read all of the suggestions. 

    The early fix was to get rid of Skype (or simply close all browsers), but the final fix is to install the most recent updated version of skype. They have fixed the problem without disabling any of the functionality.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments