Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-22T13:22:15+00:00

    AFAIK the Metro/Modern apps have no standard command line interface.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-22T10:43:36+00:00

    i have the same issue, win8 and onenote 2013/365 , and cant print from whit in onenote. Strange thing that it worked before whit older OS and ON. but not whit the New.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-12T07:04:45+00:00

    Is it intended that the built in reader for Windows 8 does not create the appropriate entries in the registry for the print context for PDFs?  If I have a fresh Windows 8 install using Reader to read PDFs and OneNote 2013, I can't import them using Insert File Printout, only with printing from within the reader app itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-26T13:53:53+00:00

    I have this issue too. Others (that I know) and all around the web have this issue, for a long time (several months it seems).

    The error is bogus, as it clearly is capable of putting documents inside itself, but only when printed "to onenote".

    I have read that this is a licensing issue between Adobe/Microsoft (although I don't understand why - pdf format is widely available in non-adobe products), and it makes no difference what version of pdf reader you use it seems. I have tried several, including nitro, primo, cutepdf, and adobe, all of which fail.

    This is a shortcoming of the Office software it seems, with no (known) solution, not a user configuration/installation error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments