'product busy with another task' problem

Anonymous
2013-05-20T20:42:11+00:00

i keep getting this when trying to install Office 365: 'something went wrong. Office can't do that right now because your product is busy with another task. Please wait for this task to complete and try again.'  I have already completed the fix to uninstall other Office products and i have performed a clean boot, but still the same problem....  please help i'm getting desperate!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-05T03:05:06+00:00

    Method 1 in this tip does a more thorough job that the "normal" uninstall via Programs and Features (aka Method 2 in the tip). The Normal uninstall is designed with the assumption that you will be re-installing Office. It does NOT delete everything. It leaves configuration files like NORMAL.DOTM and other templates etc. and it also leaves configuration Registry entries.

    Well, that's pretty flipping stupid, the uninstall should at least ask, "Do you want to leave things behind to make a quicker reinstall or do you really want to uninstall?"  That an uninstall doesn't actually uninstall the program just seems like someone (Micro$oft Marketing, perhaps) decided to screw the customer over in an attempt to make it seem like Office uninstalls (and reinstalls) quickly (unlike most every other program).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T11:05:15+00:00

    I have been trying to get Office installed for a week now on a new PC. I have installed, uninstalled tried re-installing multiple time. I get errors every time, all the ones listed in this thread. When I try the link above, I don't see Office in my list of programs anymore. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with. I hate Windows 8. How do I get my $138 back for Office or get someone to actually help me get this installed? It does not look like I will be able to use my new computer for the online class I am taking now since I can't get Word on it.

    Yes..same just bought new PC with office 365 on it. Keeps saying product is busy with another task. Have tried everything. So much for a free trial that came with the new PC !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T07:52:45+00:00

    If you have to uninstall Office 2013, try method 1 in this tip:

    Uninstall Office 2013 / 365

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501  Office 2013, Office 365 and Office 2013 Preview uninstalls

    • Method 1: Uninstall using Fix it
    • Method 2: Uninstall from Control Panel
    • Method 3: Remove manually

    Method 1 in this tip does a more thorough job that the "normal" uninstall via Programs and Features (aka Method 2 in the tip). The Normal uninstall is designed with the assumption that you will be re-installing Office. It does NOT delete everything. It leaves configuration files like NORMAL.DOTM and other templates etc. and it also leaves configuration Registry entries.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T06:53:54+00:00

    Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827031 >

    I followed this link to repair program. 2 to 3 hrs and it never got past 2/4.

    I tried uninstalling the trial Office that came with this new PC but it came up "unable to uninstall".

    I am at wits end, don't know what to do next. I hope Bill Gates sent my money to an African village so as at least I got some value for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments