Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-12T03:42:26+00:00

    I have a similar issue to the one reported here. Sometimes my powerpoint 2016 file becomes "corrupted" and I am unable to save, it looks like it saved but it doesnt. When I try to click save again, the file turns to Read-Only and warns me that I cant save because it is a ReadOnly file. Even if I try saving with another name, to another location (local or network regardless) it doesnt let me.

    I found out the the problem is precisely with a chart I have in a certain slide. Even though I dont have any link to any external excel file. But whenever I use the charts option to FILTER the chart series (ie to show only some points in the chart) the file is unable to be saved. If i remove the filter then it allows me to save the file. This is a bug and needs to be corrected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-22T19:15:31+00:00

    Solved it by

    1.) copying all slides in the "broken" presentation, then (while the broken presentation is open)

    2.) create a new Presentation and

    3.) copy all the slides over.

    4.) Save the new presentation

    and voila :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-21T01:46:04+00:00

    I also had this issue - I copied and pasted each slide into a new blank document and saved after each one to work out which were the offending slides. By doing this I found it was only when I added slides which had .pdfs embedded that I got the unstable error. It seemed like this was because these files had been detected by Windows as coming from another computer. I right clicked on the .pdfs, opened properties and chose 'unblock', however, I still couldn't save the powerpoint after inserting these new, 'unblocked' files (I also found that another .pdf, which had been made on my PC, also created the same powerpoint error). Instead, I opened the .pdfs in irfanview, saved them as .png/.jpeg and reinserted those into the powerpoint. I was then able to save the file! This is the most ridiculous, annoying bug. I hope this information helps somebody else and ensures one less PC is thrown from a window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T17:43:13+00:00

    Hi Mike:

    You said you are using Office 2013. What version(s) of Windows?

    Exactly what feature are you calling "quick view". In Win 10, is that the feature controlled by View tab > Panes group > "Preview pane" command? Or something else.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T10:11:18+00:00

    This was supposed to be fixed in an update. I know there are some people who say it didn't work for them but the first step would be to ensure you are completely up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments