Why do I keep getting "not enough memory to run Excel" messages?

Anonymous
2013-05-11T18:45:24+00:00

I have a new very powerful computer. Intel Core i7 with an 8mb L3 cache, a 256gb SSD OS drive of which there is 205gb free, two 1TB mechanical hard drives set up in RAID 1, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX graphics card, and 16gb of 1666mhz ram. It was purchased as a mobile workstation for Pete's sake! With NO other programs open, if I open my email, (Outlook 2013 btw), start a new email, and try to attach a tiny Excel file, (I'm talkin 40kb tiny!) I get an error message that there isn't enough memory to run Excel! I'm not even trying to run Excel! Just attach a small Excel file to an email! What gives? When I look at my resource monitor, there's usually at least 11 or 12 gigs of memory still free. This computer should be able to do literally ANYTHING I want, and multiple programs at once! After the error pops up, I can close it, and then attach the Excel file. Then everything goes ok. Then, sometimes after I've already completely CLOSED Outlook, and I start doing something else entirely, the "not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel. Please close other applications and try again" message pops up on my screen! This is ludicrous! I'm having issues with other Office 2013 apps as well, but this one? Give me a break!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T11:02:37+00:00

    Thank you for providing this information.. Outlook 2013 no more requires outlook connector, uninstall the outlook connector.

    Outlook 2013 uses exchange active sync feature to configure the Hotmail account.

    Create a new profile, then configure all the three account one by one:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

    Also check this :

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735989

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-19T15:36:01+00:00

    I know the more information, the better. I'm running Outlook 2013, but I have 3 email addresses, all under one profile in Outlook. One of the addresses requires Outlook Connector. Outlook Connector for MDaemon, to be exact. I wasn't sure if the connector would make any difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-19T15:26:24+00:00

    I have never come across this kind of issue when a program throws up an error message about another program.

    Start Outlook 2013 in safe mode, Hold Ctrl and click on outlook icon, check if you get the error message

    If you do not see the error message then disable the add-ins in outlook..

    Have you installed office 2013 as 32 bit or 64 bit version????

    Ok. I followed your advice explicitly. I held down the ctrl key, and clicked the outlook icon on my taskbar, although I didn't actually see any indication that outlook was in fact in safe mode. But I started a new email message, tried to attach an excel file, and got the exact same error message. Then I closed the new message, without saving it, btw, and when I opened this webpage, the error message popped up again. Appears I wasn't in safe mode the first time. So I did it again, this time the computer asking if I DID want to start in safe mode, and I did. No difference. Same error. So, then I went to "Options\Add-ins, and made sure all add-ins were disabled, New email message, tried to attach an excel file, same error message. My office installation is 32 bit also. I've used the un-installer fix-it app from Microsoft, un-installed from the control panel, run the "repair, both "quick" and the more extensive "online" repair, probably 6 or 8 times now. No luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-19T05:13:00+00:00

    I have never come across this kind of issue when a program throws up an error message about another program.

    Start Outlook 2013 in safe mode, Hold Ctrl and click on outlook icon, check if you get the error message

    If you do not see the error message then disable the add-ins in outlook..

    Have you installed office 2013 as 32 bit or 64 bit version????

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T14:25:29+00:00

    Hello? Anybody there? Does anyone even have a clue as to why Outlook tells me "there isn't enough memory to run Excel"? Most of the time, when I get that error message, Outlook is the ONLY thing running on my computer at the time! I'm not even trying to run Excel!  After the error message is displayed, I can close it, and then attach the Excel file as normal. But then after I've closed Outlook, the error message pops up again! It's absolutely goofy! Can anybody solve this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments