Turn off paragraph collapse/expand arrows in word 2013

Anonymous
2013-01-18T15:27:33+00:00

Hi -

I'm not sure what it is called in Word 2013, but an arrow appears before a paragraph heading that allows you to collapse all text following the paragraph until it comes to another paragraph heading. Yeah - how do you turn this annoying feature off? I have clicked that arrow so many times when I just wanted to select text. I may be missing the item in the Options dialog box, can't seem to find it.

Thanks so much!

Tammy

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2017-02-12T22:59:53+00:00

Thank you! I don't use group policy very much, and I wasn't aware that there were such settings there.

For other readers, if you don't have the group policy administrative templates or OCT for your version of Office, you can download the appropriate file here:

Office 2013 Administrative Templates and OCT

Office 2016 Administrative Templates and OCT

After the templates are installed, run the group policy editor (gpedit.exe*) with administrator rights. In the left panel, drill down to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Word 2013 (or 2016) > Word Options > Advanced. The two zoom level settings are about halfway down the list on the right side.

*The Home edition of Windows doesn't include the group policy editor. If that's the edition you have, then see https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-12T16:44:30+00:00

All of the responses that are focused on removing the heading functionality are great unless you need headings to automatically number paragraphs or create a table of contents, etc.

If you really need the Expand/Collapse markers to go away, from group policy or the Office Customization Tool (OCT), set the Set the minimum zoom level for expand/collapse on-object UI to 110 and Set the maximum zoom level for expand/collapse on-object UI to 90. The little markers to the left of the heading go away. If you right-click, you can still collapse the heading. Right-click again and Expand heading is grayed out but Expand all headingsis still available.

For information on changing settings in group policy, go here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179176.aspx

Hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-30T14:48:02+00:00

    Oh my goddess, that actually worked! Thank you! This feature has been a nightmare for me. I have never hated anything as much as I hate all the arbitrary decisions Word makes regarding my document without my permission.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-07-28T21:54:20+00:00

    Just apply a style which isn't a heading to the text paragraphs and you will get rid of the expand/collapse triangles.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-28T03:14:37+00:00

    It has something to do with styles. Just stumbled upon this with my own frustration with the stupid little triangles. Highlight the area with the triangle and right click. Go to styles and clear formatting and it will get rid of the triangles. I'm not a techy so this is only a bandaid but hop it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments