Office 2013 only works in safe mode

Anonymous
2013-03-18T20:37:05+00:00

Hi

I have recently downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 as part of the on the Home Use Program.

Ever since I installed it (the 64 bit version on windows 7) I have had nothing but trouble and can only use it in 'Safe Mode', I've only tried Word & Excel as these are the only two I need to use. I've had a little look around on the internet and it seems like disabling add ins will help, so to my knowledge all add ins are disabled on the COM add ins bit?

Both Word and Excel crash with the 'Stopped Working' message and they always crash when you close them, but most of the time you just have to wait a minute and they'll crash sometimes when you're not even using them!

Does this sound like a familiar problem can I get my copy of Office 2013 to run in 'Normal Mode'?

Thanks

Nick

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-19T12:58:44+00:00

Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

  1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
  3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
  4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

5. Enter Value data as 1

Try to run Excel normally now.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-11T09:32:17+00:00

    Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

    Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

    Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

    1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
    2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
    3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
    4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

    5. Enter Value data as 1

    Try to run Excel normally now.

    Good luck!

    Thanks, worked for me. I couldn't get Word to run for more than 10 seconds, this solved the issue for me in 2 minutes. I hope Microsoft is paying you for this! You deserve it. 

    Thanks

    Patrick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-05T07:41:47+00:00

    Thank you so much, that worked a treat!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-22T21:56:19+00:00

    You are Awesome...I have been waiting for a solution....this worked!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-15T11:34:12+00:00

    Nick S.S that fix worked great.  Fixed my freeze issue with Word and Excel. -Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments