Adding two formula's together in one cell?

Anonymous
2011-11-06T19:38:01+00:00

I'm now working on a separate work book for our ebay sales, and in one of the cells that outputs the insertion fee is the following:  (Be gentle with me lol, if I've done this the wrong way or it's over winded and could have been done simpler :)  Any way it pulls the insertion fee's from another sheet so that if at a later date they put them up I can just start a new workbook and alter the fee's in that one sheet, but the problem is we sometimes list the same item in two categories so in theory our insertion fee is doubled, so to get around this I have added another column , so now have:  one column with Category One P10, and column two with Category Two R10,  in cell Z10 is the total insertion fee.  But at the moment it just shows the fee's for Category One P10how can I also use the same formula but just add them together?

=IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),'_Settings'!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),'_Settings'!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),'_Settings'!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),'_Settings'!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=10),'_Settings'!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),'_Settings'!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),'_Settings'!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),'_Settings'!$AC$11,""))))))))))

Many many thanks in advance for any help, I'm very grateful.

Linda

PS the work book is so that I can see what fee's we are paying and our profit after fees, and so adjust accordingly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T10:01:34+00:00

Linda wrote:

Cheers Joe,  here's the linkhttp://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

Hope you and your daughter managed to get some sleep.

In the meantime, I had a chance to review your past explanations and look at your uploaded file.  I realized that I had misunderstood some of the intended design, mostly due to my ignorance of eBay.

I have uploaded a file with some changes (click here).  That file is an Excel 2003 file.

The primary change is in column Z.  The formula is a correction to my previous efforts, to wit:

=IF(OR(N10="",AND(P10="",R10=""),T10=""), "",

IF(N10="Buy It Now",

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11)),

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))))

A significant change is:  you do not need the table I suggested in X1:Y6.  Your existing table in _Settings!$G$8:$M$13 will suffice.

I suspect that the values in P10 and R10 are mutually exclusive if both are specified.  That is, if P10 is "All Categories", I suspect that R10 is "Media Related" or empty; and vice versa.  I also suspect that P10 will never be empty when R10 is non-empty.  That is, you always use Category 1 first and only optionally also use Category 2.

Those observations might lead to some simplification of the formula.  But I suspect only minor simplifications; for example, we probably do not need IF(P10="",0.  But we still need IF(R10="",0.

If you confirm the observations above, I could look to see how much we can simplify the formula, if you wish.  But I think it works well as is, and I suspect it is not overly complicated.

Note that I also made a number of other minor improvements in some unrelated formulas.

  1. I simplified the SUM formulas in C4 and G4.  Note that SUM can have at least as many as 30 parameters (XL2003 limit).  XL2007 might permit more.  I don't know.
  2. I simplified the IF formulas in columns AP, AR and AZ.  Let me know if you have any questions.  In general, it is not necessary to test both of two complementary conditions.  The change in column AZ also includes an arithmetic simplification.
  3. I changed the lower limits in G8 and G15 in the _Settings worksheet from 0.01 to 0.00.  That also required a format change for 0 values (3rd field).  Although column T in the "eBay Sales" worksheet might never be zero, it is better to have 0.00 in the lookup table for technical reasons.  "Defensive programming".  Nevertheless, if you insist on 0.01, it probably will work that way.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] PS:  I forgot to mention a change that I did not make.  I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet.  I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data.  I suspect it should be removed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T21:26:20+00:00

    Will do it now.

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T21:25:45+00:00

    Linda wrote:

    Ok Joe the thing I can't work out how you did, and don't understand is how it knows which price band is used when listing price is the factor?

    I think you are referring primarily to the work of VLOOKUP.

    Referring to your original design (not my redesign with unmerged columns)....

    When N10="Buy it now", your original IF() expression selects the price from AC10 or AC11 in _Settings based on P10 or R10.

    When N10="Auction" and P10 or R10 is "Media Related", your original IF() expression selects the price from M15 or M16 in _Settings based on T10.

    When N10="Auction" and P10 or R10 is "All Categories", that's where the magic of VLOOKUP comes in.  VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7) says:  find the largest value in G8:G13 that is less than or equal to T10, and return the corresponding value from column M, the 7th column in the table G8:M13.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T21:24:28+00:00

    Ok just a quick reply then I'll go read it a few times as sadly with age I seem to need to reread things a few times before I can coherently reply. :) Of course the lack of sleep doesn't help loll

    You left out Look after my elderly mum. :) I go do her housework a couple times a week as well as shop for her, and do the decorating gardening as and when it needs doing. hehehe.. Yeah days can be long some times. Most days I'm still catching up with washing, ironing etc. at midnight! Oh well time enough for early nights when I'm sixty lol...

    The merged columns where so I could position exactly the Totals at the top of the document. I know I'm pedantic hehehe.. I like everything to LOOK perfect! What am I like? :) But I do see where you're coming from. Some times I just need someone to point out my compulsions are going to far! ;D

    Right going to go print it off and read it a couple of times before I reply further.

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T21:16:05+00:00

    Linda wrote:

    No, tbh it's really only IE that doesn't adhere to protocol, hence why most web designers have to write work arounds in their CSS to allow for IE going into quirks mode.

    [....] 

    Yes I use a php script to change code entered into the sites I design.  Some times it's just so it doesn't brake your code, and other times it's for aesthetic reasons.

    If you would not mind, please send email to joeu2004 "at" hotmail.com so that I will have your email address in case I have HTML-related questions in the future.  Quid pro quo :-) :-).

    A couple of my relatives are webpage designers, but they do not have the technical knowledge that you seem to have.  I am a very technical person, and a very curious person.  I like to know what's going on under the hood.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments