Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-27T19:54:26+00:00

    Cannot be customized? Wow, that's a horrible user experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T22:17:50+00:00

    Has there been any further progress or development on this topic.

    We have a laptop with limited space on the c:\drive, running Windows 8.1 and Office 365 Home.  I would like to move Office 365 to another drive, but am unable to do so with the Click-to-Run technology.

    Please advise if there is a procedure to accomplish this.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T23:30:30+00:00

    This was posted by another user;

    Sorry, I know this is an old post, but I figured out how to do it.

    I too was wanting to move my Office 365 install to a different drive.

    My main goal was to put it on a RamDisk to make it very quick to load.

    I had created a RamDisk of 5GB, using http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

    The new drive was mounted as drive O:

    I installed Office 365 as normal, on the C drive.

    I then made a note of the two main directories:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office

    I emptied my Recycle bin before continuing.

    I then ran Task Manager and stopped anything Microsoft Office related.

    Then I deleted both of the above directories, trust me on this.

    After that I went to a CMD prompt, and ran these commands:

    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15" "O:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15"?

    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office" "O:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office"

    This created junction points for each directory on the C drive that Office installs to, and point them to the O drive. So the OS thinks its going to C drive for those folders, but in reality its going to the O drive.

    I then went to my recycle bin and restored all the deleted files.

    The files then appeared on the O drive.

    I then saved the RamDisk to an image file (so it gets loaded when windows starts)

    Finally, I rebooted.

    After reboot, when I open an office app, its so fast you can't time it!

    You don't have to do the ramdisk portion, its the junction's that make it work.

    I have 32GB of ram, and am only using about 5gb on average, so having a ramdisk makes sense for me.

    RamDisks are about 8 to 10 times faster than SSD but are volatile memory, so it needs to be saved to disk if you don't want to lose it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-30T00:18:24+00:00

    Thank you so much for the advice.

    I'll give it a go!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments