Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T11:50:25+00:00

    Ray.

    I don't know if there is an official way to fix your problem but it strikes me that your options are:

    1. Give each student a 1Gig quota
    2. Ban them from installing Office 365
    3. Preinstall Office 2013 so they don't need to install 365
    4. Install LibreOffice and do #2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T14:07:30+00:00

    Thanks Sanwin2, I suspected that this may be the case.  The cost of upping our storage by 1GB per student would be prohibitively expensive, so I guess options 2 or 3 come into play...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-17T20:48:16+00:00

    So let me get this straight I just purchased a $99 yearly subscription for this software and I can't choose where to install it on MY COMPUTER? Now you are telling me that I need to go out and get the physical copy of Office 365...So how do I get my $99 back as a refund so that now I have to pony up over $400 now for the DVD version of Office? I tell you M$ you should be ashamed of yourself.....UGH....

    THIS IS A DEAL KILLER FOR ME. I'LL HAVE TO CANCEL MY TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION AND KEEP USING 2010!

    This is ridiculous, especially in this era of small SSDs as C drives. I am not going to upgrade just to run 365. I was only doing it to try SkyDrive. I'll stick with DropBox!

    Good move MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-06T21:53:36+00:00

    So let me get this straight I just purchased a $99 yearly subscription for this software and I can't choose where to install it on MY COMPUTER? Now you are telling me that I need to go out and get the physical copy of Office 365...So how do I get my $99 back as a refund so that now I have to pony up over $400 now for the DVD version of Office? I tell you M$ you should be ashamed of yourself.....UGH....

    THIS IS A DEAL KILLER FOR ME. I'LL HAVE TO CANCEL MY TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION AND KEEP USING 2010!

    This is ridiculous, especially in this era of small SSDs as C drives. I am not going to upgrade just to run 365. I was only doing it to try SkyDrive. I'll stick with DropBox!

    Good move MS.

    Well that is all well and good, except for the fact that you cannot get office 2010 anymore.  So I am stuck with a 2013 home and student since I already scratched off the cover for the product key.  Out 150.00 dollars just because Microsoft didn't want to spend the extra little bit to put on the packaging that it can only be installed on C: (local) drive and that it requires 5 and 1/2 gigs of space to install.

    If I new that then I wouldn't have purchased the item.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments