Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-01T14:37:05+00:00

    I have the same problem, SSD drive. I am waiting for the answer to the question also, as in step by step instructions on how to install to a different drive.

    Thank You

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-01T16:16:27+00:00

    As far as I can tell there is no option to install Office 365 anywhere but the C: drive.  I have yet to find anywhere where Office 2013 can be downloaded as a msi installer which would allow installations to be customised.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-01T20:31:21+00:00

    So let me get this straight I just purchased a $99 yearly subscription for this software and I can't choose where to install it on MY COMPUTER? Now you are telling me that I need to go out and get the physical copy of Office 365...So how do I get my $99 back as a refund so that now I have to pony up over $400 now for the DVD version of Office? I tell you M$ you should be ashamed of yourself.....UGH....

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T09:11:35+00:00

    Maybe someone can help me answer this then:  I am in technical support for a university and we would like to pre-empt the installation of this product (MS Office 365 University) on our open access areas.  By default (and I don't think there is any other way) this product installs into the root of the user's home profile directory and downloads over 600MB of files.  It also "salt and peppers" the AppData/Roaming folder structure.  If a student installs this product on our managed PCs (which you can do as a non-administrator) and doesn't uninstall it before logging out, their Profiles will be over quota and will NOT copy back correctly.  In my tests, this will corrupt your profile.  If you exclude the Microsoft Office 15 folder from copying back you still get a corrupt profile if you log onto another PC.  So my question is how do we protect our students profiles (our customers) from the installation of this product?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments