Install to D drive instead of default C drive

Anonymous
2013-02-27T18:21:38+00:00

I use an SSD for my C drive as a boot drive only. I would like to download and install Office 365 from Microsoft but am unable to do so since there seems to be no way to get it to download to my D drive. How can I do a custom install to the D drive, since there isn't enough room on the C drive? Please and thanks,

Resa

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-28T08:37:43+00:00

Hi Resa,

Thank you for choosing Office 365/2013 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you. By the description, it looks like you do not have enough space in C drive so want to know if we can install Office 365 suite on a different drive.

Have you purchased Office 365 Home Premium subscription or Office 2013 perpetual license?

Unlike previous version of Office, the new Office 365 Home Premium uses the Click-to-Run technology to install. Click-to-Run is a streaming and virtualization technology and Streaming allows users to use a Click-to-Run product before the complete product is downloaded.

By default Office 365 Home Premium installs on the respective drive where the Operating System is installed and cannot be customized.

However for Office 2013 suite (perpetual License), you also get the setup file (Complete Setup file) using which you can install on the D drive.

Though you install the Office 2013 on D Drive, all the registry entries or some of the installation files will be installed on the C Drive where the Operating system is installed.

If you have any query and issues with Office suites and office related products, reply and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-17T04:55:00+00:00

    Why not?  If I choose to install the fricking program on another drive, why at you allowed to stop me?  I will continue searching the internet for ways to do this.  Getting tired of MS-Big Brother running MY computer thier way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T05:36:35+00:00

    Fred I am not a Microsoft Employee. I do understand your frustration. The reason it won't and can't go to your D drive is that office 365 and office 2016 must be on the same drive as the operating system. I was as frustrated as you when I found this out. I am a programmer and it would be easy to correct with a small patch. The only thing I can suggest is that if your totally disgusted to try and contact MS and ask for a refund. There are plenty of other options. Word Perfect, Open office, Google documents. Not sure what your SSD is mine is a 500 GB and everything else goes to D: for programs and E: for backups. I do have one other small program that demands the same thing and I don't want to give up my Bose Sound Touch system, so I'll just have to put up with it. Yea seems that software should understand hardware limitations but software is always behind the hardware (Who'd a thunk it?). Been like that as long as I have been programming since 1975. They just make programmers jump through hoops. Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T04:43:55+00:00

    Just purchased Office 365 and now find out it has to go on C drive and like many others my SSD drive isn't that large.  Why can't I continue to use Office 2007, worked fine, had no problems with it.  Microsoft is the only one that had problems with it....   Can I get my money back or stop the transaction ????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T12:53:30+00:00

    This is totally unsat! I bought 6 licenses over 30 days ago and did not get around to installing until recently. Imagine my surprise when I discover I can not designate drive. There was no warning on the box!!!

    I have rooted for MS for many years but now am beginning to look elsewhere.

    You are forcing me to replace main SSD's , expensive, and hope the transfers are not a disaster.

    You deserve a class action over this deception if not fixed immediately.

    And then there is the common "no default email" issue with outlook that I still have not overcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments