How to disable Microsoft Upload Center 2013 ?

Anonymous
2012-11-22T14:49:19+00:00

Hi,

I uninstalled office 2010 and installed Office 2013. However now there is no way to stop upload centre from starting upon startup. There are no values for it under the startup tab in task manager or the registry startup sections. Strangely enough the old value for office 2010 MSOsync was left behind but I removed it.

How can I stop it from running like in Office 2010 ?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T17:53:32+00:00

    Hi,

    you might want to uninstall "Microsoft Office Workspaces" feature of Office.

    Here is the msiexec command:

    msiexec.exe /i {90150000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} REMOVE=WxpFiles

    The GUID in this example is Office 2013 Pro Plus, you might change to the GUID of your Office. Take a look into your Registry, under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" or "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" and look for your Office GUID.

    also, take a look into this thread:

    disable upload center via OCT 2010 Ajdin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T08:31:11+00:00

    I agree with all the complaints about microsoft 'forcing' users to use the upload center. Heavy Handed!!

    I found this solution from a google search and it seems to work...

    If you open task manager and stop the process MSOSYNC.EXE (right click and open its location first) that will kill the process. Then perform the following:

    1. In the folder of MSOSYNC.EXE, delete the file.
    2. Open notepad, and save a text file to that same location.
    3. Rename the test file from “New Text Document.txt” to MSOSYNC.EXE

    Many thanks to "Admin" at gearbytes for the solution. (I had to open notepad with administrator rights)

    http://www.gearbytes.com/2013/10/how-to-disable-the-office-2013-upload-center/

    Honestly though, Microsoft are getting more like Appl3 with removing choice from their software, I guess at least their OS is open enough for people like "Admin" to work out hacks...

    Hope this helps someone else

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-27T02:52:47+00:00

    Hello,

    I have listed in the Task Scheduler Library a Office 15 Subscription Heartbeat, which triggers daily at 12:00 AM which start at log on of any user, after triggered, repeat every 12:00 indefinitely.

           

    I purchased and installed a non-subscription version of Office 2013 Pro Plus.

    WHY is there a surreptitious entry in Task Schduler which verifies a permanent licne on a daily basis?

    WHY is this entry made without knowledge or permission of the user?

    There are numerous pother Windows 8 / 8.1 and Office 2013 tasks which trigger silently without alerting the user that info is being collected and sent to Microsoft.

    WHAT makes these tasks any different from a worm communicating with its' server?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-31T15:17:28+00:00

    Under Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 the Microsoft Upload Center 2013 (MSOSYNC.EXE) is started by a tasks in Task Sceduler, but it is not under "Microsoft" like some other Office 2013 Tasks (eg. Office 15 Subscription Heartbeat and OfficeTelemetryAgent).

    I have the sceduled Task under "Task Sceduler Library" (above "Microsoft"), and there the tasks is called "Microsoft Office 15 Sync Maintenance for [MACHINE NAME - User]. If you check this task, you see it run "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\MsoSync.exe" (I have 64bit Office) with a few different triggers.

    It says very cryptical this task makes sure the cache for Microsoft Office Documents stays in good condition, and there is a warning that if you disable this tasks it can lead into problems when you work with online stuff ... well, it would be nice if they instead could say in clear text what it does!

    I do not have the sceduled task on all boxes, even if all boxes has Windows 8.1 + Office 2013 Pro (non subscription). I cannot at this stage say why not on all boxes, or what creates the sceduled task. Note that I do not have a "Desktop Skydrive" application, nor am I logged in with Microsoft Accounts (only local accounts), and hence do not use the Skydrive App either.

    It's up to you to decide if you want to try to disable the tasks in Task Sceduler, but it might come back by itself. The phenomen that some people have seen that it runs awhile and then disapears, only to run again at a later stage, is obviously because it only does some maintenance tasks to this mystical "cache" and then kills itself. I asume it does only local stuff, and nothing on the Internet, at least not if not logged into Skyrive or your Microsoft Account when using Office. How could it? So, that the task runs for a while now and then, probably isn't doing any big harm - except that it irritates you a lot!

    As a sidenote one of the triggers by me is that it will next time run on 1st of April, which confirms the whole Microsoft Upload Center is a BIG JOKE? :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-18T18:28:00+00:00

    I've got one more suggestion on how to work around this MSOSYNC.EXE issue.

    CCleaner is still great for removing it from the startup but it will most likely get added back in by some other service (irritating!). I got sick of all the work of disabling it and creating tasks to keep it disabled. So I created a quick script that will disable it permanently without modifying the registry. This script uses standard MS utilities already on every system. The idea is to remove all permissions to execute (or even read) the file from everything on the system. The file cannot run if no one has access to it.

    For those not familiar with MS shell scripting, "rem" and "::" are comments, "taskkill" kills tasks, "takeown" takes ownership (forces), "cacls" changes NTFS permissions. All of these are well documented but use at own risk. My script will work on both x86 and x64 installations and will attempt to work with all future versions of Office (i.e. office14 vs office15). If they change the name of the executable it will not work.

    Just copy the following into a text file and rename to .bat or .cmd extension to run it. I've used it multiple times and it works great for me. What a SILLY problem to have.

    :: beginning of script

    @echo off

    taskkill /f /im msosync.exe 2>NUL

    echo Y>\_yes

    cd "\Program Files"

    for /f "usebackq delims=" %%i in (dir /s /b msosync.exe 2^>NUL) do (

     if exist "%%~i" (

      echo disabling %%~i

      takeown /f "%%~i" /a > NUL 2>&1

      cacls "%%~i" /c /t /p everyone:n < \_yes > NUL 2>&1

     )

    )

    cd "\Program Files (x86)"

    for /f "usebackq delims=" %%i in (dir /s /b msosync.exe 2^&gt;NUL) do (

     if exist "%%~i" (

      echo disabling %%~i

      takeown /f "%%~i" /a > NUL 2>&1

      cacls "%%~i" /c /t /p everyone:n < \_yes > NUL 2>&1

     )

    )

    del /f /q \_yes

    pause

    rem to enable...

    rem cacls "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSOSYNC.EXE" /c /t /p everyone:g

    :: end of script

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments