Office PP 2013 - Setup bootstrapper has stopped working

Anonymous
2013-03-23T18:25:19+00:00

I have downloaded the Office Pro Plus 2013 ISO from the download page and when I try to install it, it show me the first screen saying that the setup is preparing and then I get the error message "Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working". Could anyone help?

I have also read this article, but I do not have Citrix installed: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/88a6f422-0bac-4d0d-8279-95c5afbbc95a/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-27T08:55:27+00:00

    After 5 hours of install / un-install, running windows update and following fixit instructions, I finally found this comment and realised our IT support had 2 days ago enable a policy to mitigate crytolocker. It was indeed blocking the ose####.exe from running. Nice one doug.

    Phil.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-28T09:56:14+00:00

    I'm so frustrated.

    I purchased 2 office2013 installations.

    The first went perfectly well, since i chose to ignore the online option.

    On the second installation, I foolishly pressed the online option - I didn't understand what it meant.  From this point on nothing worked right.

    most office files couldn't be opened, I kept receiving "something went wrong" messages.

    And in the file that i did succeed in opening I got a message that the subscription would end in 3 days (that now i wish i would just wait for it to end) and no option to activate the original product was available.

    I received the 365 office free via my university, so I already knew i hated it, and don't want it.

    Now i'm trying to uninstall the office all together, so i can install the office2013 successfully, w/o choosing the online undesired 365. But even after following all the steps, including editing the registry (not all worked), It's not working.

    Why force me to install a version that i didn't buy, and that i don't want???? i understand MS wants to promote the 365. but this is not the way. 

    HELP

    i'm running windows 10, 64 bit (i think), my default browser is chrome, and it's a brand new laptop, so very few elements get in the way. 

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-22T10:08:28+00:00

    This is a ridiculous comment. After trying to install a fully paid and legal Office 2013 PP over and over again even the FREE TRIAL VERSION does exactly the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-22T10:28:37+00:00

    On my affected Windows 7 Pro machine, nothing helped.  I had Office 2010 PP running smoothly but had to upgrade on one of our machines to 2013 PP. I've choosen to uninstall Office 2010PP first and then to install Office 2013PP instead of upgrading. Uninstallation worked, but installing the new version gave me that Bootstrapper Error message. Over and over again, at varoius stages.

    I played around with everything::

    • Automatic uninstall,
    • All MS FixIts,
    • Forced Uninistall with Revo Uninstaller
    • Manual cleanup of the registry, as discussed here (There was nothing to clean, the FixIts did a good job)
    • Stopping all services that are not vital, esp. Printer Spooler
    • Disabling Anti-Virus software
    • Taking the machine off from the domain for a stand-alone install
    • almost all instructions I found on this topic.

    With every step I came a bit further. The first attempt to install the software wet just to around 10%. In the end, it went to as close as 99%. All of these steps helped a bit further. It seems there are many problems at the same time on that affected machine.

    I found out: It seems that the FixIts do not clean everything. There are traces left behind, there are still tweaks to the registry left, even following the complex instructions to clean the registry manually. There must be something left that stops the installer in the very final stage - because in the end, installation went as far as actually creating the directory and writing files, but after 99% completing, the installation was rolled back and the program folder was deleted then.

    I even thought that maybe the installer files are corrupt somehow, so I even downloaded a fresh copy of a 60-day-trial version with exactly the same effects.

    After wasting 1 1/2 days I gave up and reinstalled Windows. This worked instantly, finally Office 2013 PP is running.

    In the end this leaves a bad taste of using a hyper-complex installer mechanism for Office 2013 that reduces costs for Microsoft when rolling out a new software, but burdens the admin cost on the customers.  I bet even MS engineers do not know exactly what happens here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T13:56:55+00:00
    1. Restart the Computer
    2. Disable the Antivirus Program (In some cases like Kaspersky etc the Antivirus Program needs to be uninstalled!)
    3. Uninstall Office (first try regular uninstall)

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2016-Office-2013-or-Office-365-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8 4. Restart the Computer 5. Delete Content of the following folders

    %LocalAppData%\Temp

    %Temp%

    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OffCAT

    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Office

    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Access

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Office

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook

    %AppData%\Microsoft\PowerPoint (For macros you may need to create this folder anew)

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Publisher

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates

    %AppData%\Microsoft\Word

    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Office

    %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office

    %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office 6. Restart the Computer 7. Backup and then remove the following registration keys

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OffCAT

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office 8. Restart the Computer 9. Call up the 'Disk Cleanup' tool, check all and press OK 10. Restart the Computer 11. Restart the Computer again! 12. Install Office 2013 again.

    This fixed the problem for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments