MSN Money Stock Quotes Not Updating Quotes in Excel 2013

Anonymous
2013-02-24T03:14:27+00:00

I installed the MSN Money Stock Quotes add-in in Excel 2013 and it was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason it has stopped updating quotes today.  The selection for "Update Quotes" from the add-in toolbar is not active.  However, the "Insert Stock Quotes" button is active and when I press it, I get the Stock Quotes dialog box.  It will insert the formula for the quotes in the spreadsheet, but it does not provide an up-to-date quote.  I would appreciate any help on this, as this add-in is a big time-saver for me.  I did notice that my software was automatically updated yesterday.  (I believe that it was a Windows update, but I am not 100% sure.)  I do not know whether this might have something to do with the change, since, as I said, the add-in was working yesteday.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-18T13:55:38+00:00

Did you ever get your MS Money to work?  I had the same problem just yesterday.  The "Update Quotes" tab wouldn't do anything, but the "Insert Stock Quotes" tab would.  I went ahead and re-inserted all the stock symbols by highlilighting my entire selection and everything updated and is working fine again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-28T19:53:05+00:00

    OK, I THINK I MIGHT HAVE IT FIGURED OUT.  The program seems to only be able to handle about 50 lines of data.  After that it just enters zeros in each column.  To add an additional symbol, if you have less than 50, type in the symbol, highlight that cell and Refresh, and the data for that symbol will update.****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-28T14:48:32+00:00

    Sorry, don't know. Have not gotten that far yet.

    Not sure I know what you mean by all the other junk that comes with it. it would appear that each ticker symbol that one specifies results in a row of data in the new worksheet tab. The issue is whether the order of rows changes when one specifies a new/different list of ticker symbols (which would cause one to have to change the row numbers of references in main sheet). This might require one to add new symbols to end of comma separated list, but not deleting symbols no longer used (in order to preserve row  numbers). However, I have not yet tried adding/deleting ticker symbols, so I don't know for sure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-28T14:11:52+00:00

    I got it to work, but adding additional stock symbols isn't that easy.  How do I add a single symbol without adding all the other junk that comes with it?  I used to be able to just add a symbol and it would auto update..  Now it doesn't show the symbol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-28T04:58:01+00:00

    bjkaufman,

    Yes ... I followed the instructions here:

    http://beforeitsnews.com/financial-markets/2013/03/excel-tip-5-how-to-pull-stock-quotes-into-excel-2010-from-msn-money-2518708.htmlhttp://beforeitsnews.com/financial-markets/2013/03/excel-tip-5-how-to-pull-stock-quotes-into-excel-2010-from-msn-money-2518708.html

    It's not exactly the same as the old MSN Stock Quotes add-in, but it works.

    When I set it up, I provided a list of ticker symbols, and selected the option to place the results in a new workbook tab (which I created in my original spreadsheet that used the old MSN Stock Quote add-in). For each ticker symbol I specified, the new workbook tab had a row of data including name of company, last price, previous price, high, low, percent change, amount change, 52-week high, 52-week low, market cap, EPS, P/E, # shrs, etc.

    Then, all I had to do is modify my original spreadsheet .... replacing the old reference to the MSN Stock Quote's information [i.e., =MSNStockQuote(...) ] with a reference to the proper cell in the new worksheet tab. Once that all was done, then whenever I open my spreadsheet, new quotes are automatically downloaded to the new worksheet tab, and the corresponding cells in my original sheet are updated. Works fine .... no problems.

    Note:  this method apparently only works with Excel 2010 and newer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments