MSN Money Stock Quotes Not Updating Quotes in Excel 2013

Anonymous
2013-02-24T03:14:27+00:00

I installed the MSN Money Stock Quotes add-in in Excel 2013 and it was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason it has stopped updating quotes today.  The selection for "Update Quotes" from the add-in toolbar is not active.  However, the "Insert Stock Quotes" button is active and when I press it, I get the Stock Quotes dialog box.  It will insert the formula for the quotes in the spreadsheet, but it does not provide an up-to-date quote.  I would appreciate any help on this, as this add-in is a big time-saver for me.  I did notice that my software was automatically updated yesterday.  (I believe that it was a Windows update, but I am not 100% sure.)  I do not know whether this might have something to do with the change, since, as I said, the add-in was working yesteday.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-18T13:55:38+00:00

Did you ever get your MS Money to work?  I had the same problem just yesterday.  The "Update Quotes" tab wouldn't do anything, but the "Insert Stock Quotes" tab would.  I went ahead and re-inserted all the stock symbols by highlilighting my entire selection and everything updated and is working fine again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-28T14:51:41+00:00

    Thanks, Melissa

    I will give both of those apps a try.  They are useful, but not as useful as the MSN Quotes Add-In.  The primary advantage of that Add-In was the ability to insert market data points - such as last price, shares outstanding, market capital, etc. - directly into a spreadsheet in the cell of your choice.  So the Add-In goes well beyond portfolio monitoring and facilitates the development of Excel models on individual companies or groups of companies.  Bottom line:  I can live without it.  But it is a very useful tool and I would be willing to pay for it, if it is available.  I recognize that there are others out there and most likely, with this new App feature, someone will come along before too long and offer an alternative.  I would still opt for the MSN Quotes Add-In, if available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-28T00:22:44+00:00

    It appears that the MSN add in has been retired (see this thread). You might tryusing the new Bing Finance Agave or template instead, which I offer similar functionality and work on desktop and web app.

    Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-24T13:39:31+00:00

    Calculation is still set to Automatic in my copy of Excel, so that is not the problem.

    I did not get the MSN add-in for 2013.  I had the 2003 version from before and downloaded the 2007 version into Excel 2013.  As I said, this 2007 version did work for a short while in 2013, but it does not work now.  I have highlighted the problems above.  It would be nice if Microsoft put out a version of MSN for Excel 2013 or fixes the glitch that is now preventing the add-in from working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-24T04:17:12+00:00

    Check to ensure that Calculation is still set to Automatic.

    But more importantly for me, where did you get an MSN add-in for 2013?  I just upgraded (Excel 2013 / Win 8) and my old add-in does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments