Cannot open a rescued Word document.doc

Anonymous
2012-02-08T22:50:45+00:00

Microsoft Word errored out and I was forced to save a document as rescued document.doc.  However, when I try to open the doc, I get the message: 

"Microsoft Word cannot open this file because it is an unsupported file type."

How can I recover the contents?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-28T23:04:28+00:00

I know this thread is old but I have been trying the get past the "Microsoft Word cannot open this file because it is an unsupported file type" error when opening standalone .asd files all day today as my home backup task makes copies of the asd files that Word creates every 5 minutes and pastes the copy .asd into a separate folder to assist recovery from accidental deletions.  Call me paranoid :-)

The discovery I thought worth sharing is that I was able to successfully open .asd files with all the original formatting and text and the file looked exactly like the last time it was saved.  Previous to this discovery I kept getting the "......unsupported file type" error and the best i could do was recover the text using the text recovery or notepad options.  The same .asd files that couldn't open before now open correctly in "Read Only" mode but have all the text and formatting saving you minutes or hours of formatting work!

So here it is: (it's so simply but it works)

The first step is the most important - this is what made it work!

(1) Place a copy the .asd file into the unsaved files folder.  The location of this folder on my system is "C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles"

(2) Open Word and click on File - Recent

(3) Looking down the bottom of the screen you see a button/box titled "Recover Unsaved Documents"

(4) Click that button/box and open the .asd file you placed in the unsaved files folder in Step (1).

If it works then a smile returns to your face and all is forgiven.  Blood pressure subsides and everyone is happy again.  If it doesn't work then the .asd is possibly corrupt and try recovering just the text out of the file using all the suggestions on this thread and the internet.  Good luck!

Last comment: Without doing the first step of placing the .asd file into the special folder I couldn't get past the error.  I'm not an advanced Word problem solver just a person trying to make my back routine work.  My environment is Windows 7 64-bit /  Word 2010 32-bit.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-21T19:50:27+00:00

Thanks Varun.  None of those suggestions worked, but it gave me an idea.

I opened WordPad.

On File Open, I selected *.*, the *.doc and the document opened.

I was able to then recover the text.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-15T11:19:45+00:00

    It is 4am, i've spent the last 30 minutes panicking trying to find a way to get my file back and you literally just saved my life.  I don't know who you are, but NathanDavies, at this very moment i love you more than i have ever loved anything or anyone in my entire life.   Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T16:49:40+00:00

    OMG this worked out perfectly for me! thank you so much for your help I hope you have a great day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments