Excel 2013 is very slow in loading large workbooks, is there a way to open just the tab I want?

Anonymous
2013-01-21T18:28:33+00:00

Excel 2013 is extremely slow in opening my large workbook. Sometimes it won't respond at all and freezes my computer.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-11T10:13:33+00:00

    I have been battling with this problem too.

    I wondered if the password length would make any difference to performance - I found not - but if you set a blank password

    • then yes it is instant!

    Protecting with a blank password locks the cells as usual with no performance problem.

    Having a blank password has drawbacks - the user can unlock simply by clicking the Un-Protect sheet button.

    However If users cannot save the sheet (a macro in on save event can prevents this) then this could help you - my problem is solved until a better workaround is suggested.

    If interested in XL-Database integration - you can see our work here :

    http://leansoftware.net

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-18T17:52:10+00:00

    Hi Cathy,

    It's not a bug, and there is no good workaround. As stated earlier in the thread, this is the result of our need to comply with the OpenXML ISO standards for security. Look up the thread to see where I talked about ISO hashes. Excel 2013 went from having ISO hash turned off by default to turned on, and from SHA-1 to SHA-512 as a default. There is no way in 2013 to turn off ISO security throughout Office.

    I wish I had a way to help you out, but I really do not.

    Regards,

    Anita

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-16T16:44:51+00:00

    Hello Anita:

    I too am experiencing exceptionally slow macros now that I've upgraded to Office 2013 (from 2007).  The vast majority of my code starts with "Unprotecting all Worksheets" and ends with "Protecting all Worksheets".  What would once be a split second action now takes at least 10 seconds to complete.  Is there some way our code needs to be rewritten?  Or is it a Microsoft bug that is expected to be fixed soon? 

    Thanks.

    Cathy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-11T20:31:58+00:00

    no prob. I see "fumble fingers" and spelling errors AFTER sending emails all too often, too.  Just wanted confirmation I was guessing right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-11T16:48:50+00:00

    Yes, I must learn to proof read when I am tired... Thanks for catching mistakes... it's definitely SHA-512. and yes, DOCX/DOCM.

    Nita

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments