WD2013 : Won't allow tables to break across pages

Anonymous
2013-02-23T00:36:16+00:00

I am an intermediate level user of word but seem to be getting stuck on this item with WD2013.  Routinely when I create or paste in tables, WD2013 will not allow the tables to break across pages.  I have done the usual table properties checks (allow break) and paragraph checks (keep with next) but no luck.  I am admittedly only a few weeks old with WD2013, so I'm hoping it is just another setting I'm missing in the new format.

**email address**

Any help is appreciated.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-28T22:23:06+00:00

    If in the Table Properties dialog, the table is set to have the Text wrapped around it, the header row will NOT repeat.  You need to set the Text wrapping to None if you want the table to continue from one page to the next with the header row(s) repeating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-29T12:22:40+00:00

    I would be interested in seeing a document in which you are experiencing this problem. Send a sample to ssbarnhill at gmail dot com.

    Thank you for your kind assistance.

    The solution is that the table in question is CORRUPTED.

    Please I cannot more emphatically recommend that you and your fellow MVP's remember this and help other people know that if they move tables from earlier versions of Word into Word 2013 they might run into this problem.

    When I create the table from scratchin 2013 there is no sign of this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-06T23:08:00+00:00

    Is the table heading (outside the table) formatted as "Keep with next"? Make sure that the header row of the table is also formatted as KWN. If the table will all fit on the same page as the heading, you can also format the rows as KWN--all except the last, which should not be formatted this way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T22:02:31+00:00

    Hi Doug,

    I am having the same problem with the table jumping to the next page, leaving its table heading (not heading row) behind. I normally set my tables as you suggested. The only way I can get the table to start below the table heading on the same page is to turn off Repeat as header row at the top of each page. The document was created in Word 2007.

    However, I work at a company that advised us to keep Office 2007 until we worked out the glitches in 2013. I opened my document in 2007 and saved it as a .doc (which may not have mattered). I looked at the table and found that all of the rows in the table had the Repeat as header row ... setting. (I saw on some forum - maybe here - that this could be the issue. But I could not see that in 2013.) I changed the table so only the heading row had the Repeat designation and saved the document. When I reopened in 2013, all was well.

    UPDATE: I am encountering more tables with the same problem in this document (in 2013), and I CAN see that the **Repeat as header row ...**option is applied to the entire table. Now that I know the solution, I don't have to revert to 2007 to solve it. And I'm glad of that, because I like 2013.

    UPDATE 2: I found another table in the same document that had no repeating row header. I could not fix it in 2013 or 2007. This one may just have to stay as is. The good news is: it does not jump away from the table heading.

    It could be undesirable to apply the Page Break before attribute to the caption as you could end up with a mostly empty page before the table if there are only a few lines of text on the page before the table.

    If you format both the caption and the paragraph in the Repeat heading row so that they are kept with next:

    1. The caption and the Repeat heading row will NOT be orphaned at the bottom of the page.  (The whole table will moved to the next page if there is not room for the caption and the Repeat heading row AND the first row of the table after the Repeat heading row.
    2. The Repeat heading row will continue to function correctly.

    The above is true in both 2010 and 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-02-23T11:38:41+00:00

    If you want to send me a document that exhibits the problem, I will take a look at it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments