Office Word 2007 Configures Every Time A Word/Excel Document Opens

Anonymous
2013-02-28T19:11:06+00:00

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, every time I want to open a Word or Excel file, the Office Word 2007 Configure Wizard runs.  Why?  And, more importantly, how can I stop it?

I used the 2007 Diagnostics Tool numerous times but it says there is no problems to correct.  I beg to differ.

Can someone tell me how to make it stop configuring?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-23T17:26:35+00:00

This video fixed this issue for me:  https://youtu.be/QxjkuhmdfaI

Running Windows 10 x64

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\SETUP and renamed to SETUPold and Word opened fine.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-01T13:41:24+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting the question.

As per the description provided you find the configuration window when you try to open Word or Excel application.

Let me assist you to stop the configuration window when you open Office applications.

Which windows operating system do you use (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7)?

You may follow the steps to register DWORD value and check if it helps:

  1. Take a back up the registry before proceeding with the next step. Refer the link on How to back up the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 (Windows XP)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry (Windows Vista)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry (Windows 7)

  1. Click on Start, Run. (Windows XP and Windows Vista)

    Click on Start, under Search Program and Files (Windows 7)

  1. Copy and paste the DWORD value (without the quotes) given below to register Office applications Click OK.

Following are the DWORD values for Word and Excel applications:

a. Word 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

b. Excel 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

Restart the computer and check if you are able to open Office applications without the configuration window.

I hope the above steps help. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Office related issues let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-28T01:26:15+00:00

I was experiencing the same problem and made the change to the Excel 2007 Registry entry as shown but still it has to configure each time I start Excel.  None of my other Microsoft Office 2007 applications do this.

After performing the change suggested I exported the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options registry entries which are listed below.  Any other ideas to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options]

"FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"SP1FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"OptionsDlgSizePos"=hex:48,03,00,00,ad,02,00,00,a4,01,00,00,b7,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00

"DefaultSheetR2L"=dword:00000000

"UseSystemSeparators"=dword:00000001

"ThousandsSeparator"=","

"DecimalSeparator"="."

"Options95"=dword:00000001

"OptionFormat"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00

"Pos"="176,232,1260,764"

"TipShown"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"NoReReg"=dword:00000001

"StickyPtX"=dword:00000185

"StickyPtY"=dword:00000108

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T23:02:44+00:00

    Sad to read, I have a user with the same issue as you with Excel. 

    Hoped it could solve the issue because it was the way to solve an old stdole23.tlb error in 2010. 

    Looks like it is not working. 

    The user use ctrl+left click to open Excel it bypass the process but it's still a work around. 

    I hope Ms release a fix in some future update but since 2007 is not supported anymore I would not expect it too much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T19:43:12+00:00

    Could anyone with the issue with Excel try to run a registry editor and delete de following key :

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel

    You than go repair the Office in Programs and Features.

    Click to select Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office Excel 2007 and click Change

    Select "Add or Remove Features" and click Next.

    Click to check Excel and update the installation.

    RESTART the computer.

    Sadly this does not fix the issue.  I checked for all these keys and only 

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel

    was present.

    I deleted this and then attempted to go to repair.  System reported that it could not repair because Office had been removed.

    I have been able to stop Word and Excel attempts to configure every time they are opened by using the steps in this link

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Fm45Z306I

    Windows then opens clean every time.  However, Excel still returns error stdole32.tlb.  If I click OK it will go away and Excel will run correctly (I think).  So I am left with this one issue to resolve now.  None of the suggestions on the internet seem to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments