Office is installing in the background (84%) stuck there.

Anonymous
2013-01-31T11:32:44+00:00

While I trying to install Office 2013, the process of the background installation seem like pausing at 84% and not moving.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T14:05:21+00:00

    The issue is caused because NETWORK SERVICES (NS) lacks disk read write permission. I coppied the tmp msi installer from \windows\installers and ran it and got an error code. Went to \Program files\common files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform
    and gave NS permission. The on line installer installed Office but at 94%. Expect it a similar problem.

    Seems like lack of permissions is the reason. In my case it was the Programdata folder.

    Stuck at 94%. Simple reboot, and the installer finished up to 100%.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T16:07:04+00:00

    I'm no stranger to computers either and this one is really driving me bonkers.  I believe the reason is that some other non-compatible portion of Office or a program that interacts with Office is still installed - I just can't figure out what it is - though I could be wrong too.

    I'm installing directly from the DVD using the 64-Bit version which cannot be installed with any other 32-Bit version - this I know.  Still no luck even after un-installing every MS product - I also stopped the print spooler as some suggested.  I did a clean boot and still nothing but hanging.

    Anyone?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T17:22:16+00:00

    Question - Has anyone here reinstalled Windows over their current version at any point before attempting an office install?

    I got Office 2013 to install by right-clicking on the drive in My Computer, going to properties, security, advanced, owner, and take ownership. I set the owner for all files to "Administrators". Install went through without a hitch! I did however install from a 32-bit iso file I got from the Microsoft tech website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T20:00:49+00:00

    The issue is caused because NETWORK SERVICES (NS) lacks disk read write permission. I coppied the tmp msi installer from \windows\installers and ran it and got an error code. Went to \Program files\common files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform
    and gave NS permission. The on line installer installed Office but at 94%. Expect it a similar problem.

    Seems like lack of permissions is the reason. In my case it was the Programdata folder.

    Stuck at 94%. Simple reboot, and the installer finished up to 100%.

    Could someone who solved it with this permissioning fix give a more detailed walkthrough?  In particular, when during the process you changed the permission (did it get stuck at 84% and then you changed and restarted and it worked or did you do this before somehow - did you uninstall first and start this all over, etc).  Also can you confirm how to change the permisisons and which folders exactly, you mentioned programdata but is just just for the Microsoft Office folder totally?  I have a bit of familiarity with permissioning but not enough to accomplish this and others on here maybe not enough either.  Would really appreciate it thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T10:19:26+00:00

    Same here - couldn't resolve the problem so far (tried the usual: removed Antivirus software, cleaned all old Office components, uninstalled printer drivers, etc.). The MS tech-specialist I talked to on the phone couldn't help either. I sent him an errorlog but haven't heard back from him since.

    I can, however, install the technet "Professional Plus" testversion of Office 2013 without any trouble. Unfortunately that doesn't help because it won't except my product key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments