Subscript Out of Range error when importing into Access 2007 from Excel.

Anonymous
2010-06-16T03:47:16+00:00

I have been importing Excel files for years. I recently upgraded to Access 2007 on a shared server (Windows Server 2003 R2, Service Pack 2) and now I can't import. Every time I get "Subscript out of Range" when I use the Import Wizard. The file is correct with the correct field names and data. I have tried importing into different tables and always get this error. I can try an .xls or an .xlsx file and neither work.

I have to paste the records in.

Help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-03T16:30:08+00:00
  1. Just on a whim here, do you column headings use any Reserved Words (or

Wildcard Characters) that might confuse Access?

This was my problem. I had Serial# and # a few other places!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-27T02:44:17+00:00

    DavidcWhite,

    I don't use that in Excel so no I never had that problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T16:23:53+00:00

    Same frustrating problem.

    My solution - copy the problem page to word and save as a txt file .

    load to ms access as a txt file, it will assume tab delimited for columns.

    seems to overcome the problem.

    also - do you know that the excel copy and past down option  doesnt work while the internet explorer is on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-04T07:25:51+00:00

    Causes

    1. Field Types don't match

    2.Extra Rows and Columns

    3.Existing Relationships that "enforces data integrity" prevents Access from appending the table due to entires on your records that are not yet present on your other related tables. Temporarily un opt the "enforce" box. Append. Find the new entries, update the other tables, then reinforce the data integrity option again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-30T11:59:57+00:00

    I had this error importing a TXT file into a recently emptied table.

    I compacted and repaired the database and all is well now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments