"Fixed Objects will move" pop-up freezes Excel

Anonymous
2010-08-10T19:14:50+00:00

Spreadsheet opens and I can navigate for awhile and, for example, when I go to save the sheet the message pops up: Fixed Objects Will Move.  This freezes Excel and I use Task Mgr to "END" the Excel program

This spreadsheet was used for ten months, add a column per month in Excel 2007 - now, possibly since installing Excel 2010, I get this message.  I haven't noticed it in other spreadsheets.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-11T10:27:47+00:00

‘Fixed objects’ in Excel may refer to multiple items, such as comments, graphics, controls, etc.   Do you recall inserting any fixed object in the Excel sheet?   Try the following steps:   Note: Ensure to back-up the original file prior to performing the steps given below.


1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T00:05:10+00:00

cell comments are not treated as Objects by Goto > Special > Objects

Use Tools > Options > View > Comments: Comments and Indicator (2003 or earlier)

or

Review > Show All Comments (2007 or later)

and you will be able to see where the comments are.


Bill Manville. Excel MVP, Oxford, England. www.manville.org.uk

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-25T19:01:39+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem, same software and OS.  I can navigate and make changes but can not save anything.  Even if I merely open a workbook and then try to save it without making any changes at all I get into this loop and have to end Excel through the task manager.  This makes 2010 Excel useless as far as I am concerned and I am about to dump it and go back to my old 2003 XP version which worked surprise surprise.  I tried some web suggestions about comments etc and nothing has had any impact.  Does not effect every sheet but far too many as I am a CPA and have financial files going back for years.  This needs fixed quickly, as it is the software is useless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-06T22:24:36+00:00

    Thanks, PMH49, this is the only workaround that has worked for me.

    I use Windows 7 and a trial version of Office 2010... problems like this don't make it tempting to purchase when the trial ends.

    FYI to other users out there, Step 5 in the workaround above was not available in my version, but I skipped to step 6 and it worked fine. Also, the other workarounds indicated here (GoTo-Special-Objects and Review/Show All Comments did not work: GoTo went nowhere and Show All Comments showed nothing.)

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-22T23:32:57+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same problem....I am running windows 7 and using Office 2010.

    I have tried this solution, however it indicates there is no objects in excel.

    1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

    2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

    3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

    The file is rather large being around 12500 lines.

    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments