Need hyperlinks index entries in word 2007

Anonymous
2010-01-30T14:25:46+00:00

Hi All,


I am trying to find a way to get the page numbers in a Word 2007 generated index to contain hyperlinks to the corresponding content in the document. So far I haven't been able to find a way to do this. 

Web searches seem to suggest this could be done with a macro, but that is beyond my skill level. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or knows of a pre-existing macro I could use to achieve this.


Thanks


Neil


Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-09-30T04:21:12+00:00

    I don't want to waste my time. I doubt that Microsoft ever will touch the behavior of the index in Word. ... I guess that the C/C++ source code of the index implementation in Word is very old, no current developer understands it anymore

    Aren't you the one who said:

    It is hard to believe that Microsoft is not able to integrate this.

    Evidently you don't really care all that much about it, other than to vent your spleen...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-30T04:04:01+00:00

    I don't want to waste my time. I doubt that Microsoft ever will touch the behavior of the index in Word. I'm not talking about a current version, I am talking about all future versions until the end of Microsoft Word. I guess that the C/C++ source code of the index implementation in Word is very old, no current developer understands it anymore, no one is able to make changes and the result is that we will never have a hyperlinked index. Otherwise it would already be implemented since 15 years or longer! Microsoft customers endure now the same situation as IBM customers endure since 30 years...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-09-28T23:36:17+00:00

    I would also like to see an hyperlinked index in Word.

    If you would like to see a change in the way something works, you could make a suggestion for a change at http://word.uservoice.com/. MS doesn't actively monitor posts in this forum for possible product improvements.

    Do be aware, too, that MS is unlikely to change the behaviour for any existing Word version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-28T19:40:00+00:00

    I would also like to see an hyperlinked index in Word. It is hard to believe that Microsoft is not able to integrate this. As soon you have the page numbers, an index is not different from a table of contents which supports a hyperlinks. I need the index system for PDF creation.

    Google gave me a link to a product. The website looks good but I don't have any experience with this:

    http://www.editorium.com/IndexLinker.htmDoes someone has experience with this? $50 bugs it not an issue but wasting time with non-working product is depressing.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-09-12T06:17:49+00:00

    Hi Paul

    maybe I explained not clearly enough: I do use cross references like this code

        Selection.InsertCrossReference ReferenceType:="Textmarke", ReferenceKind:= _

          wdPageNumber, ReferenceItem:=Index1(j).bm, InsertAsHyperLink:=True, _

          IncludePosition:=False, SeparateNumbers:=False, SeparatorString:=" "

    (Textmarke=Bookmark in german, Index1(j).bm is the member of my array with represents the bookmark.

    The blue font like hyperlinks ist realized by changing the color ;-)

    For the moment that is ok, but I will deal with your suggestion the next days and give you feedback.

    Thank you

    Best regards

    Thomas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments