Word cannot complete the operation because too many files open

Anonymous
2011-08-08T18:05:14+00:00

I've upgraded to Lion and am now having this error message every time Word 2011 tries to auto save:

word cannot complete the operation because too many files open

I click OK and then it says:

Word is unable to save the AutoRecover file in the location you have specified. Make sure that you have specified a valid location for AutoRecover files in Preferences, and that you have permission to write files to the location you specified.

I've tried changing the location for autosave and also made sure that the folder has read/write privileges for all users. I've done some Googling and not been able to find any other references to this problem since 2004ish.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-06-19T13:34:35+00:00

You should have added "for me" because that solution did work for at least 18 other users.

So let's try this, which I'm surprised we did not suggest before. It's called a safe boot. It's a simple procedure that will attempt to load in your Mac only software, add-ins, fonts, etc. etc. that are official versions of Apple software and other approved vendors. If Word works, it probably means that some software is interfering with it (i.e. software that was not allowed to execute under safe boot conditions).

  • Shut down you Mac
  • Turn it on
  • As soon as you hear the initial "boing" sound, press Shift (that's Apple's instructions; I press is as soon as I see the screen turn on)
  • Hold it down until you see the Finder and it seems to stop loading

Once the Finder loads, test Word. If it works, the problem is caused by non-Apple software added to your user account or your Mac.

There is a similar procedure involving the creation of a brand new user. This ensures the user does not have any additional stuff in their account. You could try that and then test word from that new user.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T09:55:54+00:00

    Ok, so looks like you don't have that file yet, that's ok. Don't worry, what you see is a console text editor called "nano". In the lower row you see keyboard shotrcuts for various operations. ^ is Ctrl key. Just type: 

    limit maxfiles 16500

    and save it: try to exit it by pressing Ctrl+X, it will ask whether you want to save it - 

    Say Y

    Then it will offer file name - just press enter. 

    It will exit and you are done. Make sure to reboot your machine.

    Alternatively you can use any other text editor - but you'll need to run it under sudo. 

    Also it's "maxfiles" not "maxfile"

    I cannot attach a screen copy, but when typing the first command, I get this :

    "Last login: Sun Dec 30 09:32:53 on ttys000

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchctl limit maxfile

    usage: launchctl limit [

    cpu |

    filesize |

    data |

    stack |

    core |

    rss |

    memlock |

    maxproc |

    maxfiles

    [both | soft hard]]

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ sudo nano /etc/launchd.conf


    WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.


    To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.


    Password:xxxxxx"

    When typing password, I get this :

    "  GNU nano 2.0.6              File: /etc/launchd.conf                        Modified










































    ^G Get Help   ^O WriteOut   ^R Read File  ^Y Prev Page  ^K Cut Text   ^C Cur Pos

    ^X Exit       ^J Justify    ^W Where Is   ^V Next Page  ^U UnCut Text ^T To Spell"

    So I'm a bit lost…

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T09:46:02+00:00

    I cannot attach a screen copy, but when typing the first command, I get this :

    "Last login: Sun Dec 30 09:32:53 on ttys000

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchctl limit maxfile

    usage: launchctl limit [

    cpu |

    filesize |

    data |

    stack |

    core |

    rss |

    memlock |

    maxproc |

    maxfiles

    [both | soft hard]]

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ sudo nano /etc/launchd.conf


    WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

    or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

    typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.


    To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.


    Password:xxxxxx"

    When typing password, I get this :

    "  GNU nano 2.0.6              File: /etc/launchd.conf                        Modified










































    ^G Get Help   ^O WriteOut   ^R Read File  ^Y Prev Page  ^K Cut Text   ^C Cur Pos

    ^X Exit       ^J Justify    ^W Where Is   ^V Next Page  ^U UnCut Text ^T To Spell"

    So I'm a bit lost…

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T09:39:47+00:00

    Office probably has nothing to do with this. This 256 limit is too small for all the temporay file handles that the user session might be already using. 

    Step by step:

    Open terminal, 

    type 

    launchctl limit maxfiles

    It will print the current setting, which most probably is 256 in your case. 256 is very very small number. It's not only the files you open, but other temporary files the system opens.

    To increase it to the more meaningful number do the following:

    in the same terminal windows type:

    sudo nano /etc/launchd.conf

    enter your password, 

    type in or copy paste the line in the end of the file

    limit maxfiles 16500

    Press Control+X, 

    Press Y

    Enter, 

    Enter.

    Then reboot.

    After rebooting open terminal and type

    launchctl limit maxfiles

    You should get the output saying it is 16500 now

    >Where is this ? A line in terminal ? When typing in "Go to", I have no such file of folder, and when typing in terminal "No such file or directory"

    Really I never have more than 256 files open. What's this means ? Do I need to tamper my system as a remedy to badly written Office ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T08:28:29+00:00

    The solution to the similar problem was to increase the limit for simultaneously open files (which is 256 by  default:

    In the in /etc/launchd.conf add line 

    limit maxfiles 16500

    and reboot.

    Where is this ? A line in terminal ? When typing in "Go to", I have no such file of folder, and when typing in terminal "No such file or directory"

    Really I never have more than 256 files open. What's this means ? Do I need to tamper my system as a remedy to badly written Office ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments