Access 2010 can't find wizard to link table to MS Outlook

Anonymous
2010-11-01T00:41:16+00:00

I am using Access 2010 for the first time (I have an exsiting 2007 database).  I am attempting to create a linked table to the Contacts folder in my outlook file (not to the address book).  When doing so I get the following message:

Microsoft Access can't find the wizard.  This wizard has not been installed, or there is an incorrect setting in the Windows Registry or this wizard has been disabled.   To reenable this wizard, click the File Tab and click Access Options.  Click Add-ins, and then the manage list, click Disable Items, and then click Go.  Rerun Microsoft Access or Microsoft Office Setup program to reinstall the wizards.  If the missing wizard is not a Microsoft Access wizard, reinstall it using the Add in manager.

There is nothing disabled in my Add-ins list and I attempted to "Repair" the MS office install to no avail.  This should be a standard access wizard that comes installed.  Anyone have any ideas what the wizard or addin is and where it is located.  This is a Dell PC with MS Office Pro pre-installed.  Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-14T00:50:29+00:00

    I was able to make the linking in Access 2010 work with OL 2010, however the links provided are not the same as before.

    For example I use custom fields to store information and now that data is no longer available for me to use.  IE, the wizard is not providing the same level of / number of fields as it has in the past.

    This IMO is a major fail by Microsoft and only indicates their lack of knowledge of their own products.  Linking to outlook is now mostly useless for me and have to redesing my database accordingly.

    MS needs to take a hard look at itself or prepare for major failure.

    To get my linking to work I just changed the file properties as described to "My Outlook Datafile".  Then relaunched both applications.

    In my case the wizard will only work once, then I have to relaunch both apps to use it a second time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-01T02:11:11+00:00

    There may be several reasons for the wizard failure therefore several of these suggested fixes may be correct.  Here's what worked for me: I was trying to import an Access 2003 .pst file with Access 2010 that I had created on another computer which caused the same error message as above.  I then tried to link to a local 2010 .pst file in Outlook 2010 and voila! The wizard ran OK.  So, I loaded the 2003 .pst file into Outlook 2010 and moved the emails into another folder which was in the 2010 .pst file. – Problem solved.  The wizard ran flawlessly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-23T09:39:39+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    I have the same issue, but none of the solutions here helped.

    I also tried to set some of the features to "install on first use", did not help either.

    Is there any other way to solve this? Maybe via editing the registry?

    Thanks,

    vm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-24T05:43:49+00:00

    Just a follow-up:

    For the file rename method, the name you call the file WITHIN Outlook MUST retain the "My Outlook DataFile" name also, or all bets are off (ordinarily, you can rename the folder representation within Outlook, but not if you want to link from Access!  Sooo disappointed, Microsoft Access team).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-05-24T05:11:56+00:00

    Unbelievable.  It is absolutely ridiculous that the answer by "gaita ole" is the one that works, but it does.  So sad.

    So I'm now looking at the possibility of having to name all the .pst files I want to do this with to "My Outlook Datafile".  Sheesh.

    Before I go, can SOMEBODY at Microsoft, a MVP, whatever... tell me why that is?

    However after further investigation, I am somewhat happy to report that on a hunch, linking to a contacts folder in an Office 365 folder (basically Exchange online/cloud, a la the Exchange Server suggestion/fix posted earlier) also works without a problem (without file name modification; don't know how to do that yet for the cloud file anyway :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments