Header only on first page?

Anonymous
2010-07-15T21:38:17+00:00

When I create a header in 2010 it is on every page.  For the life of me I can not find a first page only box to check.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-01-07T18:38:01+00:00

If you've already created the header text before you choose Different First Page, then the

simplest procedure is this:

  1. Select the header text and cut it to the clipboard.
  2. Set the Different First Page option.
  3. Paste the header text into the first page header.

An alternative, if Different First Page is already set, is to go to the second page

(insert a manual page break with Ctrl+Enter if there's only one page so far), cut the text

from its header, go to the first page header, and paste.


Jay Freedman

MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-07-15T22:20:15+00:00

Check the "Different First Page" box in the Options section of the Header & Footer Tools design tab of the ribbon, or, on the Page Layout tab, click on the right hand end of the page Setup bar and in the Page Setup dialog, go to the Layout tab and check the "Different first page" box.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-28T04:19:48+00:00

    Check the "Different First Page" box in the Options section of the Header & Footer Tools design tab of the ribbon, or, on the Page Layout tab, click on the right hand end of the page Setup bar and in the Page Setup dialog, go to the Layout tab and check the "Different first page" box.

    Just a note: Make sure to do this before you put in a header, otherwise there will end up being a header on every page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-27T21:16:12+00:00

    When I do this, the header on the first page disappears and remains on the consecutive pages. I need a header only on the first page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-20T00:38:14+00:00

    I understand your pain.  And, I have to agree with your comments.  I am a Word MVP, and a professional technical writer, and I removed 2010 because I dislike it intensely,  More importantly, it fails to improve much for my purposes.  Plus I still can not forgive them for taking out FileSearch.  THAT caused a month of work for me to fix many corporate macros that used it.

    I also semi-switched to Open Office.  That said, I do NOT agree with your comment about OO.  It also has its own learning curve and problems.

    Nevertheless, it time for those of us who find 2010 (or 2007) to be a huge pain, and hate it, to shut up.  It is not going to help.  Microsoft will never go back.  It is a done deal, and all we do is sound whiney.

    Switch to OO if it helps.  Keep struggling with the "new and improved" version if that is not an option.  It does get better in terms of being able to function.

    It does NOT get any better in terms of 2010 being mostly eye-candy..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments